What is up with Abec11?!

Here is a test back in 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7ZwRn0EN_w

6 Likes

Great watch that. God I miss bombing hills. There is nothing like going round the corner full tilt on the wrong side of the road and seeing a van coming towards for you for a pure shot of adrenalin. Too bloody old now though, I’d end up wearing the van. Makes me think of my dear old mum always confused why one of my shoes wore out so much faster than the other. Thanks for that trip down memory lane man!

2 Likes

…please keep talking (add some images if you could) :yum:

1 Like

Do two different sets. One set of the larger wide wheels (centrax style) and sleeves for your motors to match - I’ll buy 4 of each wheel without questions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Alphamail - You are so damn knowledgeable about everything urethane… can’t wait till Riptide starts selling esk8 wheels!!

Been talking to aend and working out a price. Looking muuuch cheaper than expected. I’ll keep the conversation on the other thread

3 Likes

I still have a lot to learn but thank you! If a wheel house can do it, let’s go that route

There’s plenty of good thane out there if you’re willing to build custom pulleys. Venom Magnums, Biggie Hawgs, Seismic Alpha Black Ops, and RAD Advantages are my preferred wheels for fast downhill. Seems kind of silly to me to lock oneself to ABEC11 thane only, with all due respect to Chris Chaput.

4 Likes

Let me just say this…FOOL? FUCK YOU. You have no idea whats going on here or what the fuck you’re talking about.

2 Likes

Woah. Let’s just chill and take a breather here. @Frenchy has been courteous and was just offering his point of view. No need to flame him over differing perspectives.

Breather?

" time for new ppl kegel I’ve heard and Seismic I’ve heard is coming to eskate world and hopefully knock this fool out of the game …160 bucks for wheels what a joke in my mind and all the eskate ppl jump on it no wonder prices don’t drop. And he is laughing… deep inside… "

This was highly disrespectful, uninformed and offensive.

If you’re fine with it, Take what I wrote to heart because it applies to you too.

4 Likes

I’ll chill this out…

When you say something that is blatently unintelligent and an opinion obvioiusly not formed by having even some of the facts, much less all of them, you have to expect reprecusions. In this case he got called to task.

1 Like

I’ll go further and say that 90% of the wheels in use today are either ABEC or ABEC clones. That’s should tell you something.

3 Likes

Not every opinion of any brand, no matter how respected, needs to be shining in its delivery. People get frustrated with the lack of supply and the admittedly high prices, I don’t see a problem with that.

I don’t agree with that statement. Maybe they’re the most used in esk8, but the top used wheels in downhill, techsliding, freeriding (all disciplines see speeds equal or greater to esk8) are mostly non ABEC. The wheels I listed above are extremely popular for downhill. Also the most expensive of that list is $64.

Reference:

I think @Frenchy has a point in saying that the currently available wheels from ABEC are in use primarily because of first mover priority, rather than technical performance.

3 Likes

Then ride small downhill wheels. I have no problem with that at all. We’re on an esk8 forum. Not a downhill forum. What has been made available to Esk8 has blown the doors off of all that little shit with second rate urethane.

1 Like

And that’s where I disagree. “Blow the doors” off what? The traction? No. The turn response and ground chatter? No. The general stability and grip in wet conditions? No. The cost effectiveness? Obviously not.

We all have differing opinions, that’s just part of being human. Yes we’re on an esk8 forum, but we’re also on a forum that prides itself on innovation and pushing boundaries. Sticking to only ABEC 11 thane where there is definitively better out there is the opposite of what we’re about. Would you not agree we as a community should be exploring and trying to adapt the cutting edge stuff downhill has to offer?

4 Likes

Tim Del rode abec wheels to 91.05mph. And 107’s use more than twice the urethane in each wheel. There’s a cost for that urethane as well as the reflex formula.

1 Like

As we are on an eskate for I assumed it would be understood that I meant “in esk8”. But good in ya for being picky.

I think he DOES NOT have a point, I think he’s inventing an opinion which is based on assumptions, not facts.

Sure there are plenty if good wheels it there which are not currently in wide use in eskate platforms. Go use them, then form an opinion. But starting an opinion bassed in assumptions as fact is gonna get you called out.

There are a couple if weeks out today that are#good as some ABEC wheels, but they are new and not as trusted. On the whole ABEC offers a range if wheels from 83mm to 107mm in different dutometers and widths that cover the gamet. Noone else does that.

The thing that is pissing people off is throwing product slurs around with no proof, not even any anecdotery evidence. It’s irresponsible and irritating.

4 Likes

Well that’s exceptional and great, but that doesn’t make ABEC the definitively better wheel. Tim met those speeds in racing slicks and pitch perfect conditions to meet that speed, aerodynamics has a larger impact over your max rolling speed versus wheels. A standup stance versus a hard tuck (in regular clothing) is the difference between 30 and 60-70 mph.

Edit: and as another excerpt on size. 2016’s record was owned by Kyle Wester, who did 89.41 mph on 73mm wheels. Double the the urethane isn’t going to equate the greater performance. In fact you sacrifice a lot of handling for not a lot of supposed speed gains (again, Aero is way more important at these speeds).

1 Like

So how are you rating these other wheels then? Do those things not play a role with those wheels when comparisons to abec are applied? You’re missing the point of why I even posted here today. And I’m thinking you’re doing it on purpose. Save some money. Buy some, ride the shit out of them and then let’s talk. Until then…

2 Likes