What is up with Abec11?!

I feel it would just take money. Surely a core very similar can be designed and would work with the same pulley. Or maybe that shape isn’t ideal anyway as carveon adds shrink wrap to the interface. The Kegel core maybe better. We could design it for the purpose we want and maybe a better core

Aend is going to Texas?

TX is what is in the rumor mill and it makes sense since CA is so mfg friendly

2 Likes

Maybe they will get cheaper. I don’t have the numbers on hand but in my talking w them …if you can surmount the initial investment mold cost the wheel price is really cheap and was a tiny fraction of retail. especially abec has bad price for resellers. He’s making a fortune

1 Like

Would we be buying the thane “formula” as well as the mold for the core + wheel? That seems important.

Can someone link me to the other thread about this?

1 Like

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/search?q=community%20wheel

1 Like

Now i can be completely wrong here but

As I’m seeing , what’s being seen here is a group buy. In order for there to be a future , there requires a consistent number (a high one at that) in order for fututre iterations to run, or you just have dead stock. As I see it This community is not large enough to keep on a consistent demand or money pool for wheels , especially ones meant to last at that.

In summary , this is truthfully looking like a 1 run thing.

I love the 90mm reflys myself…

1 Like

97 mm superfly!

Cant wrap my head around how such a big longboard wheel company is on the “brink” of going out of business? D=

1 Like

you can ALWAYS hemorrhage money.

Extinct breed: 107mm Electric Flywheel (in pale Green) with superimposed models of the new 107mm Superfly (with 11mm shaved out of the inner side) and the 97mm Electric Flywheel, all sharing the EF centerset core.

Dibujo%20107mm

5 Likes

Maybe THAT explains the reason I was able to sell my extra Evolve ABEC 107mms within seconds after posting :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Wheels are not as profitable as people think

1 Like

Were they listed for $100+?

I agree it would just take money.

Just look at the demand boa wheels created and they are the newest eskate wheel company on the market now and dominating the 100mm size.

They didn’t even exist before their wheels and jedboard doesn’t count since they haven’t even produced an eskate yet.

I would like to see the community wheels with kegel cores because they seem to have the easiest core design for adapter manufacturers and a 100mm size with the weight of a 90mm wheel and softness of a 107 flywheel and in grey like the hummie hubs. A little bit of everything of which I think is best out there.

About the carvon adapter, that is I think just a mistake of trying to please multiple abec like cores on the market instead of simply making the right shaped design for the abec 11 cores.

I think you need to boss the market and if your make is good the market will buy it even when their only choice is to buy expensive abec 11 wheels to work with your make.

2 Likes

Yeah, $140. They were new with 40t pulleys though.

1 Like

Truly innovative wheel design is not for the faint of heart or unexperienced. The wheels everyone has been using here were not designed as powered wheels, they just happen to be working. There are likely undiscovered deign elements of the core / wheel the could push the performance beyond the current wheels. Unless you use a stock core from Aend or Lebada you will need to pay for mold which have a life and are priced anywhere from 5K to 30k with the part price out of the 5K mold being much higher than the 30K mold. Every aspect of a new wheel needs to be considered, diameter, lip profile and height, width, wheel / hub aspect ratio, transition shape from the hub to the full width of the wheel (concave, convex, straight, s-curves like orangatang), compound, durometer. In addition to the hub mold, you will need wheel molds that hold the hub when the wheel is poured around it…wheel mold are not cheap either. Once you decide on a hub and wheel design and commit to the molds, compound and durometer there is no guarantee the wheels will be any better than what is currently available and they may be worse! Most of the current new wheel companies are taking existing hubs and wheels (avoiding huge costs), changing the color combinations and adding great graphics with a slick marketing campaign using a standard pouring house formula.

There is an alternative approach that we explored years ago at RipTide with a two part hub that locks the replaceable tire between them using only the axle nut. We would need to adapt the design to eSk8 but i am sure we could work it out. The advantage price wise is we do not need a high volume to make it work and the hubs can be used forever and all you do is replace the urethane “tire”. Depending on the complexity of the hub, a set of 8 (2/tire) could be a 1 time cost of $100 to $200 but large tires like the 107’s would likely be $70.to $100 per set. The $ are guesstimates at this point.

8 Likes

I’ll get a price n potential deal next week and see what people think. Again this would be ownership of the molds and we would get wholesale price on wheels then.

3 Likes

This has me all excited. Great concept. Two part core with maybe the pulley incorporated into it. I can see this will be the way forward for a lot of aspects of esk8 in the future. Instead of adapting to suit, designing for purpose.

1 Like

Agree except press fit aluminium pulley :hugs: