Vedder's VESC 6.0

Ok fully off topic Question If someone Gave you 5k and told you to make the worlds fastest esk8 could you do it. And would you consider the esc?

Edit: Question was pointed at @Kug3lis

Lol 5k would not even be enough for that kind of stuff :wink: But if I was going to do something really high power, I would just buy 3 phase bridge mosfets blocks which are 800A each and 2k$/ea and just drop some other shit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok he started way earlier and just came to same conclusions as me so its not copy :smiley: I went a step down and did smaller version, will be ordering pcbs next week try out if it works will be cool :slight_smile: It would be smaller version of that beast, same mosfets, no DRV and etc.

I am just curious how the hell he steps down 75V to 3.3V as I donā€™t see any buck converter apart small LDOā€™s :smiley:

2 Likes

Are you planning to copy him ? :smile:

I have no need for 15kW continues current drive :smiley: So I am just making my VESC style ESC with just 6 mosfets :wink: It will be VESC compatible but I will not run VESC :smiley:

Why ? 10char

One thing is compatibility with other things I am working on second, there are some features which I do not like for e.g in new firmware version brakes are not really good so if you stand on hill it will not hold it :smiley: When in 2.** version worked fine :slight_smile:

Iā€™m riding a MTB with dual VESC quite uphill (ski slopes), never had something to say about the brakes. And the 3.xx is wayyy better about switching from backwards to forward.

However, if you detect a bad behaviour and know how to fix it, feel free to send a pull request and thus spray the improvement to ALL the VESC users.

This is the power of open source project. :wink:

3 Likes

https://www.vesc-project.com/node/228

2 Likes

Hey,

Can I use a FOCBOX pared with a Vesc 4.12 (can bus) for a dual drive? I already have a Vesc 4.12 and just started on a dual drive project.

1 Like

What repository/branch are you pulling this from?

The official one :

Thatā€™s the one that hadnā€™t been merging pull requests. I thought maybe there was another fork that people were working on. Nobody is going to contribute if they see that nothing gets merged. I do see there was activity 4 days ago though

Yes Vedder got active this week and merged several pull requests, mine includdd. I keep thinking that contributong through the offical repository is the way to go. Otherwize we see unofficial branch gettinh popular (ie Ackmaniac) and itā€™s the mess to follow.

2 Likes

Itā€™s definitely the way to go ā€“ IF (and only if) the repository is maintained, which, until 4 days ago, it was not

Iā€™m glad to see this. Still weary he will go dark again. He needs to give someone else commit access then the official repo would be king. Ask himā€¦

1 Like

I already complain to Frank on this thread (Vedder.s VESC 6), but as usual, Frank didnā€™t answer anything (or the answer is far away from the question). But yes, this project canā€™t rely only on Vedderā€™s shoulders.

2 Likes

Found the kicad a while back

2 Likes

Iā€™ve searched the query: ā€œupdate firmware vesc 6ā€ and only got the old stuff. my vesc6 firmware is 3.34. my vesc_tool is 0.91 for windows. when connected it says to update firmware. so I upload a firmware wait 10 seconds restart but it still holding the latest firmware. what do I do?

1 Like

Well Iā€™ll be dipped in dogshit, thank you

1 Like

nvm, found the answer here: https://vesc-project.com/node/47 issue was bootloader needs to be uploaded before firmware upload. there really should be information added to the after-the-firmware upload pop up that explains a non-sticking updated firmware needs a bootloader uploaded first. its intuitive thinking that the firmware is needed before a bootloader because the tabs are arranged accordingly.

3 Likes