Vedder's VESC 6.0

Is it vesc 4? Is it riding on 100A? if yes, would you help to share the setup on vesc tool to me. I want to setup my vesc 4 accroding it. thanks

Im building a quad and need 4 vesc6 so watching with interestā€¦

Veder is great, but itā€™s a little expensive. Now a Chinese company named flipsky also make ESC6 Base on VESC6. Much cheaper.

Much shitier I would say

5 Likes

Did you have bad experience from them?

Well why should it be bad? because it is not by vedder who mostly refuses pull requests?

They use more mosfets, upgraded components, ā€¦ I dont know if it is pure advertisement but it seems better to me than a vesc 6

Please do not be harsh on Benjamin. It is not as simple as it might look to maintain such a big project. One has to be patient with pull request and be prepared it doesnā€™t always gets accepted. I agree this can be disappointing at times though.

2 Likes

Lol. He refuses Pull requests about Watt control and then He makes a new Version with new Features about Watt controll. My only concern is that he did not mention that these Features already exists due to other members. It seems as He just claim the work by him self.

I do not say that he had made a bad product or He has not deserve some honor but to me it seems as He Tales glory of everything good

2 Likes

I can understand @DeathCookies 's point about the pull requests (even I donā€™t totally agree with it). Because itā€™s a big project which canā€™t rely on a single (super)man shoulders, delegation/collaboration is the way to go, isnā€™t it ? There are a few old pull requests which can be close now, others can be merged as itā€™s only minor compilation stuffs.

From my point of view, having a pull request opened since a while is even more frustrating than having it rejected for some reasons.

Defo not agree with that. Heā€™s claiming NOTHING. Example : I asked for a NRF power off feature, Trampa told me that was useless. I coded it, made my pull requests which was merged few hours later (and my BLE dropouts were fixed :relieved:) So, that proves that even if itā€™s not coming from Vedder himself, new features are welcome ! :slight_smile:

But letting people collaborate though pull requests and not having a look at those doesnā€™t comply with the OS spirit Vedder and Trampa are claiming. For this, Iā€™m agree.

4 Likes

Easy easy. Benjamin is quite stressed out at the moment. He is finishing his PHD and you can imagine that there is only a certain amount of time. Sometimes life is a bit to full to be able to please every request. Things move forward, but at the very moment a bit slower.

And BTW: Benjamin never implemented a Watt controll. His opinion about it is very clear! He bangs on something much better, but that needs more attention and is a bit tricky to implement. Once nailed this will be the mode everyone will use.

Frank

2 Likes

This kind of statement enhances peopleā€™s feeling that only Benjaminā€™s words are the truth. IMHO, this is NOT how collaborative projects work. Lotā€™s of other people have awesome ideas, wonderful skills, amazing knowledge. Making easier for them to collaborate and bring their ideas will get the whole project greater.

BTW, all the best for Benā€™s PHD ! This is a good evidence though that the project is still relying on one person : nothing canā€™t go ahead during that time. :confused:

5 Likes

@trampa But really, can you unveil the mystery and give us something more about that new better way of controlling output power? Thereā€™s no place for PID or easy way to implement ABS or real life traction control which would be cool. Iā€™m fairly used to current mode and itā€™s pretty intuitive. Watt mode is probably good for beginners and people that do not yet feel the throttle curve. What might be better and what is the reasoning behind it except one I already stated?

1 Like

As usual, Benjamin tries to nail problems at the very root, rather than patching things together. Current Control is super nice but there are some things that could be even better. In future you will be able to keep the full power (max output power wise) while making your vehicle safely controllable for beginners or even kids. Sounds contradictive but is achievable if you manage to compute a set of different parameters in real time and feed that back into a smart, new control loop. Itā€™s quite tricky but achievable.

Frank

2 Likes

Itā€™d be interesting to see his PhD research merge into the VESC Projectā€¦ apart from the fact he seems to be using the VESC in his PhD project. A smart power control loop that takes into account things like weight balance and other external factors has much potential if done well.

Iā€™ve had a pull request sitting in the VESC-Tool repo for almost a month. Itā€™s not been merged in, and TBH I really donā€™t mind. I wont make another though. . . well not until Iā€™m convinced itā€™s a productive use of my time.

5 Likes

As I told before, Benjamin was super busy in the last months. He usually works on stuff quite focused in blocks of spare time. Once he finds the time to sit down he nails things quite fast. Currently he sorts out permanent and non-permanent profiles and precise computation of all values from single VESCs and VESC arrays for VESC-Tool and VESC-Tool mobile. This way we will have a precise display of speed, battery usage, amp-flow, distance travelled etc. Precise statistics and RT-Data across multiple VESCs. You need to be very concentrated when coding things and if you have a lot of distraction from other things its hard to focus. Plenty of patience, is one of Benjaminā€™s biggest strength. On top of that its sometimes wise to work down certain things in a certain sort order to prevent going forward and backward. Implementing new features without considering future developments is not very wise. The VESC code base is quite complex and there are many dependencies that need to be addressed. You can imagine that distraction is not good when digging yourself through the code base. If your pull request has been sitting there for a month that means nothing. Benjamin looks at the pull requests and considers the suggestions once he decides to sit down and code intensively fore some days.
Good things take time to ripen.

1 Like

Do you code Frank ?

1 Like

No I do not code. I did some coding 15 years back, but that is not worth mentioning. But I do know the feeling of distraction while handling complex tasks. And I know how Benjamin works. When he starts something, he doesnā€™t stop until its finished, and he does it with max patience and endurance. And if things donā€™t work out straight away he can sit down for hours in the night until thing work perfectly sweet.

Please Frank, stop talking for Benjamin. Really.

We know how he works well before you became his agent.

12 Likes

Haha exactly my thoughts.

I can to some degree understand the part about distractions and focus tho. I do this for a living and I def get most done the days where my phone isnā€™t constantly buzzing or if I close my email :smiley: This is not a case only for programming tho itā€™s for whatever you work with ^^

Hope there can be more collaboration in the future so it can move forward faster. Iā€™m sure there are a lot of good contributors out there that would love to help out.

2 Likes

Then he could give someone else commit rights to the repo so others could work on it, too if he doesnā€™t have time.

4 Likes