Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

Running 6s with a HK 150A ESC. No antispark system in place. I get sparks every now and then when connecting my deans but it isnā€™t huge. Should I be concerned and should I invest in antispark? If so what benefits would I see from doing so?

1 Like

Eventually the deans connector will wear down to where it wont function properly. Switch to an XT90-S connector, $4 on hobbyking for two. It has a build in antispark.

1 Like

I want to build my first DIY project as a Loaded Vanguard with the MBS all terrain just like @Kaly did. Im having difficulty figuring out basic things like the wheel pulley, motor pulley, truck and motor mounts that i need for this set up (even after reading through his build). I have a 10s3p space cell, but besides that ive only decided on the deck and wheels.

you will want a 36/14 pulley gearing ratio. buy either this or this motor mounts depend on the trucks you use. I would go with caliber trucks and get either this or this get either a 170kv, 190kv, or 149kv motor. higher kv = more speed but less torque.

2 Likes

How would Sensored vs Sensor less affect an ESK8?

sensors allow the ESC to know how the motor is positioned. By having this, you will get a much smoother startup from standstill.

1 Like

I always recommend sensors. no reason not to use it if you have it IMO

2 Likes

I canā€™t find any information on board flex and enclosures. Is this not an issue? If you try and attach a space cell onto say a loaded deck wouldnā€™t this cause problems?

Wouldnā€™t this key switch blow up with so many amps going through it??

Full board length enclosures need to have a stiff deck. You can use a flexy deck if you split the enclosure like the Boosted board.

1 Like

So would hybrid be a good compromise?

Hybrid in what sense? Have 1 motor run sensored while the other motor doesnā€™t? Or do you mean hybrid mode in the VESC. When I say you should use sensors, I mean you should use hybrid mode if you have a VESC.

If youā€™re using a car ESC, running sensors at high speeds is inefficient and leaves your motors pretty toasty. Iā€™d recommend running sensorless if youā€™re using a standard car ESC.

2 Likes

Yeah, meant hybrid mode. Thanks!

I found these VESCs on eBay: http://www.ebay.de/itm/322314183718

The price is right, but do they look legit?

How hard would it be to upgrade them with chakas special components?

looks alright. Get in touch with him through ebay to get his forum name, should be on here somewhere. Also from Germany

Apparently theyā€™re from Maytech. I need to cut costs somewhere thoughā€¦

Personally I wouldnā€™t cut costs on the VESC. Iā€™d cut on the deck, wheels, trucks, and maybe motors. Specifically to the Maytech VESC, itā€™s not that much cheaper and thereā€™s been some bad feedback with them.

From my understanding, this switch has 4 prongs. How does it wire? Iā€™ve only ever used 2 prong switches and 3 prong lit switch.

probably the best way is you get one of @B4Me vesc. He is currently working on them and is located in the EU. He does these things for a living and uses the upgraded components.

Also heĀ“s cheaper then everyone else with vescs.

you use switches with an antispark kit. You cant simply put it in between the wires in our high current board systems.