Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Any suggestions on a remote/receiver, I have a hard time choosing. I would want a remote with a screen with info. My budget is around 50$.

These are mutually exclusive.

I would get the Mini Remote and skip the screen at first since your budget is in the red zone. You can always upgrade the remote later if desired. You could even use the Mini Remote innards to do so.

1 Like

But doesn’t that remote have a wheel?

I’ve had this question for a while, what is the difference between motor max amps and battery max amps? I would assume it would be the same thing, but people can have 30a battery max, but 50a motor max? Thanks boys :slight_smile:

It has a wheel and I have a feeling some accessories are going to come to market that means the wheel can do really nifty things :wink:

1 Like

At partial duty cycle, the ESC acts like a buck converter - it steps down the battery voltage, and increases the current. As a result, at low speed you can have far more current flowing through the motor than the battery is supplying. Vedder actually uses this method in his synthetic stress tests - Run the motor at extremely low speed, and you can run 80+ motor amps from a 5-amp lab power supply.

1 Like

It has a wheel but the wheel isn’t used for throttle. There are some ideas in the works to use the wheel for other things awesome though…

2 Likes

Wow, thanks. So does that mean that the main output the VESC’s are advertising i.e. “Flipsky 50a VESC 4.20” is the motor max? And so in that case I shouldn’t worry about having a battery that can output continuously 50a and then some to prolong the life?

If you read the specs, it’ll usually say “X battery amps, Y motor amps.” More battery current is always better - overbuilding results in wider safety margins and room to expand/upgrade in the future. I don’t know what your build looks like, but if possible stay away from 4.x based ESCs - they have some known flaws that some manufacturers don’t address.

2 Likes

To expand on @MysticalDork very concise advice. Do not run your battery amps at the limit of your vescs capabilities. Never a good idea. Always leave a little salt on the bread. Motor amps you can adjust according to heat build up and specs but if you go over on battery then poof.

To quote LHB " I have a drawer full of poof"

1 Like

Interesting, is everyone moving to the VESC6? I used to be pretty active on the forums a couple years ago and they were very rare, but I’ve seen they have dropped in price.

Yeah, there are several different manufacturers making 6.x based designs mow - Even flipsky! And they’ve come down a lot in price too.

The 6 flipper is a good unit by all accounts. 4.20 not so much. This is all hearsay though but very clever and informed hearsay from some very clever and informed people.

1 Like

I am building a dual motor board, with two 6s1p batteries in series. But I can’t choose a ESC.

Dual flipsky 6.6, dual flipsky 4.20 plus or focbox unity.

FB unity

Or normal focboxes

What is better with focbox unity than flipsky 6.6 dual

customer service

Build in Bluetooth and a working anti spark switch. Hope last one is still actual and maybe Flipsky also fixed there issues in that part.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a longboard deck. 35-40". I want It to be pretty stiff.

This looks pretty good:

1 Like

Its an evo. Nothing more needs to be said. Job done. I’m slightly biased.

4 Likes