Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Get a Bestech BMS from litechpower and a brick charger from one of the forum vendors like @torqueboards or @longhairedboy or @psychotiller or @JLabs

This looks pretty good to, I will have two 6s batteries.

Please at a minimum, fill out your “Country” on your profile because many answers to be offered may be different, depending on where you are.

So. I recently acquired 2x vesc6. Installed it. Working but performance wasn’t the same as my other focbox and unity.

Vesc6 world is new to me. Read a few threads about it. Found out some use no_hw_limit. Some don’t. Some had to change the settings due to it being underwhelming.

Does anyone know a good resource on how to set these things properly?

I’m currently using my unit/foxbox settings on my vesc6 (original) and I feel a significant performance loss.

Edit:

• Ack v. 3.102
  • Dual vesc6
  • 12s4p
1 Like

One pair for the battery, one pair for the antispark, and one pair for each speed controller. That makes a grand total of three for a single-drive, or four for a dual-drive build.

What mode are you using (BLDC/FOC, sensored, sensorless or hybrid)? What are your battery and motor current settings? Have you done a fresh motor detection? Have you done a fresh sensor calibration if you’re using sensors? What are your voltage cutoff settings at?

You must be doing something wrong or it’s defective send it me and I will do some extensive testings :rofl:. Did you set your max and mind the same?

1 Like

Settings:

• Sensored
  • FOC
  • 12s4p
  • 36v ; 33v cut off

Yes, I have done multiple motor detection and PPM calibration.

You should be able to go up for the motor max with the vesc 6 my motors are 46 for my focbox.

This was my last run:

Well, I’m using these for now since vesc6 is new to me. Weird part is. I tried

60 -60 60 -40

It’s definitely faster with these settings. I tried the above on my unity/focbox. Holy sh!t balls. Crazy fast.

Hmm, I dunno. I’ve noticed that FOC is a lot less aggressive than BLDC, but it’s weird that the behavior would be so drastically different between two controllers with similar hardware and identical settings.

1 Like

Perhaps, vesc6 has better power delivery? It’s pretty smooth. FOcbox and unity is pretty raw.

I even had to change my pos ramping time to 0.2 from 0.3. it helped but not a lot. Played w throttle curve as well. Helped also. I even sorted to checking my battery cells if one or a few are dead. They’re all within ~0.1v of each other. No Drv faults too. I’m out of ideas.

Oh yea. I forgot to mention. I tried different receivers and switched remotes too. I think I’ve almost ruled out everything.

I used vesc6 on my last build, and I loved how smooth they were. I didn’t have another controller to compare them to though, because I bough them after blowing my pair of 4.12s. I’m not a boarder before esk8, so I really liked that the power delivery was smooth and not very aggressive - Kept me from falling off as much. Still, even with the vesc6s, I had trouble staying on the board at a full throttle launch. I was running 40 battery amps and 80 motor amps on each side if I remember correctly. (Might have been 60 motor amps, I can’t be 100% sure.)

Have you experimented with BLDC instead of FOC? If you want raw surging not-smooth power, I hear that’s the way to go.

2 Likes

Should I get this one, or something else?

That site you linked for fishpaper seems super sketch? I’m building my first bat soon, I got these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-x-18650-battery-insulator-insulation-ring-adhesive-cardboard-paper-RS/113697914065?hash=item1a78ec7cd1:g:B~YAAOSw0TpcYNNC&frcectupt=true

For the tops of the Batts, I need a fishpaper reccomendation for the sides (Amazon preferably)

Or kaptan tape? Not super sure right now

Also love all the help in this thread, a yall rule

The site seems super-sketch, and looks like it was made in 2001, but it’s the best place to get fishpaper in the 'states.

You can buy the exact same product from Amazon and pay more, if paying more is your thing.

Well. I like smooth also but the only reason why I haven’t bumped up my settings to make it more aggressive is that it saves battery for me. It was plenty powerful and battery efficient when I was using the settings w focbox and unity.

I honestly think that vesc6 just exhibits better power delivery that it makes it seem slow but in reality it’s not. It almost seemed like it has “finer” increments when you throttle it. Initially, I thought I had too much of a deadband setting. Vesc and remote is set to 2. I like it linear w no lag.

I’ll try your settings. Are you using no_hw_limit?

I don’t remember if I had my HW limit on or off. Unfortunately, the computer I set it up with is dead and gone, and I didn’t save the config files. I do remember I didn’t do a lot of tweaking - Just did my motor and sensor detections, set my cutoffs and current limits, and left it at that.

1 Like