Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

So there are people in the EU that are on here like street wings or unik

So Iā€™m gonna be building a board soon. I am wondering how you guys attach all the electronics to the board. Do you attach them to the enclosures or to the board? How do you do it and why you do it that way? I have been thinking of using these sticky zip tie bases we use at work that are just amazing. They stick like nothing I have ever seen before and to a fresh, clean surface like my board I am sure they would hold up for everything but the battery. That baby is gonna be heavy. Even so If I did 3 rows of zip tie bases along the battery it might hold up but thats just my AV mind thinking. I need advice from experienced esk8 builders. I honestly think this is the most crucial part of the build.

Industrial velcro everything to the deck. The enclosure should hold nothing.

4 Likes

Longboard with tires is definitely possible. You want a deck with plenty of clearance around the wheels, but theyā€™re not too hard to find.

Dual-motor is really excellent for riding in areas with poor traction. Definitely recommend.

Iā€™d build from scratch, but thatā€™s my favorite thing to do. I guess you could mod a premade, but the requirements of deck shape for tires and dual motors means youā€™ll likely already have a pricey item before doing any modding.

Iā€™m in the US, so Iā€™m pretty useless about sources of parts. Good luck!

Thankyou, I figured as much, though I may try and see if its possible to start with a single-motor but maybe plan the build/layout in advance so I could add a second motor laterā€¦ I have made my own build/question thread now, as I think if the project takes off Iā€™ll need to try and keep my info somewhere I can actually read through it and add details as I go! Thanks for your help though I appreciate it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got plenty of that on deck and will be using it liberally. What about the individual circuit boards? Like the small piece that comes with my controller?

There shouldnā€™t be any raw exposed PCBs but if you mean things like the remote receiver, I used double sided mounting foam.

2 Likes

Does anybuddy have a good idea on how i can spot weld my batteryā€™s for cheap. I dont want to spend $200 on a welder.

It depends on the enclosure abs should cover the electronics but not hold them. Fiberglass can hold them. Attaching you would use industrial strength Velcro

1 Like

Whatā€™s the best MTB esc/vesc?

ā€œBadā€ has many meanings. Depending on what youā€™re optimizing for, it could be and it could not be.

I personally recommend getting P-packs prewelded from professional battery builders and then using those to build your battery without spotwelding at all.

ā€œbestā€? There are many definitions of ā€œbestā€. What are you optimizing for? Performance? Cost? Weight? Size? Number of motors? Looks? Longevity? Reliability? Easy? Waterproof? Able to travel with? Compatibility? Open Source? You need to be a lot more specific than that :wink:

Probably the VESC7 from @trampa

Good lucking shelling out the eye-bleeding $700 per motor for those and then trying to fit them in some kind of box.

6 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™m trying to get something performance wise for about 300 usd for both escā€™s combined. Iā€™d rather they not weigh like bricks butā€¦ dual 130kv sealed motors. They would be in a waterproof case. Reliability is big as Iā€™d rather it not skimp out mid rideā€¦

per motor or per board?

1 Like

About 300-350 usd for 2 escā€™s combined (two motors)

Probably two of these from @chaka

2 Likes

Also, probably should have noted that it would be for a 12s battery

Thanks! So these over the unity? Would these stand up to mountain boarding? Sorry for all the questions

I donā€™t like the Unity for repairability reasons and as such Iā€™ve not used it. I always need to repair boards ā€“ and if an ESC goes out, replacing the other one thatā€™s still working is not usually on my agenda. So I wonā€™t buy any Unities.

2 Likes

Thanks @b264 ! Definitely going to look into these, especially seeing that massive heatsinkā€¦