Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

looking clean with a tupperware container is probably not high on this fellas list of priorities. Just make sure its one of those old shitty avocado coloured ones or your mom will hurt you. They love their tup.

2 Likes

Has anyone soldered a xt plug to where it’s at 90 degrees to the wire? Is there any disadvantages to this?

Just make sure you use a lot of solder, and don’t pull the wires, the solder that wicks into the wire will crack and damage the wire if it gets bent to hard

2 Likes

What are some good budget enclosures to get?

I have a focbox, 5055 motor, and 2 zippy 5000 3s1p batteries for some context

Also, what are good upgrades in the future to boost range? My drive has a 1 to 3 ratio for torque, but please provide some suggestions

A bigger motor and higher voltage should be more efficient

Whats the best reinforcement material for wires (BMS/battery/enclosure)? I know potting material is good but its also expensive so epoxy putty would be the next best or is silicone good enough? (enclosure ports have to be strong and waterproof, we love soggy states)

1 Like

No not at all. Just make sure you tin entirely the wire and fill the cup before trying. Don’t try to bend the cable in and out. Solder the end straight to the pre filled connector at 90 degrees. All good brother.

1 Like

6s 5ah is really tiny, only 111 watt-hours, or about ~11km. Go higher voltage, and more capacity, both will increase your range significantly.

Im a really agressive rider, lots of hard braking and hard acceleration with a very torquey setup. Is it normal for my battery to get warm? Neither of my motors get very warm- comfortably warm. And my VESC stays pretty cool.

What sort of battery, and from where did it come?

Samsung 30q. 10s4p it came from a hobby place in colorado that makes packs

I ride pretty hard too mate and the only heat from my packs comes from the bms after a silly session. Some heat on charging too but very minimal. You sure thats not where the heat is coming from?

Where is the pack hot? Is it actually the cells or is there bad connections/thin wires that are creating to much resistance?

Some of my batteries are warm when I arrive…

1 Like

It might be the bms. I just feel the warmth around the battery compartment. Its not hot, just warm

So i should just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse?

1 Like

Normal for a bit of heat build up on heavy discharge. You ever used a battery drill heavily? Batteries get warm. If it gets really bloody hot then run away

1 Like

:rofl: I’ll try to remember that. I love this forum. Without all you guys, (and gals) I’d probably be in constant panic mode

1 Like

Got a link? I thought it was a running meme that despite you being (subjectively) the most helpful person on the forum, you don’t have a single build thread :stuck_out_tongue: