Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Oh hahah Oops. This really shows how big of a ‘‘noob’’ I am at BMS`s and such. I am not quite sure what you mean with ‘‘bottom of the pack though’’.

EDIT: Oh hahah that explains. So just a quick summary for me. I will wait for others to confirm too just to be sure :grin:. If i get a 13 lead bms like a linked. That has a B1- port Thats the one that has to have the negative wire wired up the rest just in order how I wired them up. The port that says CH- is the port that I will attatch my power plug too. This is how I am supposed to do it right?

You just need to make sure you are connecting the balance leads appropriately. for ex if there was 12 leads only (meaning no negative balance wire), the wires should go in series of voltage from B1 to B12. Always be safe and check with a Voltage meter. If there was a BMS layout it would have been easier lol

Edit: I busted a BMS because I had the leads the other way around and the BMS was trying to regulate the voltage backwards. It got so hot and just didn’t allow me to charge anymore. Good thing cheap BMS’s are easy to replace and do not much harm (If monitored that is).

1 Like

I will keep these tips in mind! Thanks you helped a lot :smiley:

Honestly you do you, some people like 13 leads, others is 12 leads. I don’t see why it matters with cheaper BMS’s. Use the BMS appropriately to the way it’s made always.

Next step is to use a better BMS to have faster balancing between cells. Cheapo ones take weeks if not months on bigger battery packs.

1 Like

The other thing I see would be -There should be a fuse on the charge port, and - I’d prefer to see the loop key on the positive, rather than the negative (This isn’t as important as the fuse.)

2 Likes

You want at least 80mA balance charging and not less than about 30mA

2 Likes

Use this on your charge port

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/576-099707.5WXN

2 Likes

At which one of these specs do I have to be looking out for? If i want to have a minimum of at least 30mA image

“Balance current for single cell”

At least 30mA and preferabbly 80mA! Oh then I really have to buy a better BMS then these ones. :joy:

That one is 42mA, it should be fine really.

1 Like

Most problems related to that are caused by very old batteries or not charging to 100% full often enough. The lower that is, the less it can deal with that stuff.

Oh and your first charge possibly

I still have my balance charger I currently use to charge my lipos so if you recommend it I can always charge it with my turnigy reaktor once in a while. I dont know once in how many times is standard to do that?

I would never use that once you have the BMS hooked up. I sold mine

1 Like

Ah oke hahah. The stuff I am learning today!

What’s solid red in FOCbox?

Can you share the image?

So I was looking around a bit but sometimes I couldn’t find the balance current for a single cell. Does that mean that that specific BMS balance out the cells? I think its weird to not put that in the specifications since that is like the main purpose of a BMS. This is one example of one i found were i could find that specification.

Also I found that there was a BMS that looked good with the specs but I don’t understand how you wire the balance wires up. Since normally you would only wire up the negative 1 time or not at all and the positive 3 times in my case. But here they drew constant negative and positive wires in the wire scheme. Could someone explain to me how that works. It also has 2 wire plugs but I Don’t really know what that’s for. If you have some sort of video feel free to link that one. I couldn’t find anything I could understand about this.

If it doesn’t have a clearly labeled balance current, I would absolutely NOT buy it.

Think about this – even if it does balance the cells – the seller doesn’t even know enough about BMSs to tell you what that important measurement is. Are you going to trust that person with not setting your home on fire?

Exactly.

Just buy a bestech BMS.

1 Like

I saw the bestech D140 and that looked quite convincing. Considering the high balance current. But the thing is in the picture I could find a CH-/C- port on the BMS. So I will work on a new scheme and send it to you guys again and hopefully its correct now :slight_smile:. buildkitboards.com https://buildkitboards.com/products/bestech-d140-charge-only-bms?variant=12511076974686 image

1 Like