Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

Why did you just loctite the set screw? Maybe switch to blue loctite as it should make removeable with just the puller

I thought blue wasnt strong enough to hold the pulley to the shaft on its own?

I used 648 to put the pulley on the motor shaft and then used the blue on the grub screws in the pulley. The grub screws came off easy but man that 648 between the pulley an motor shaft was a struggle.

If you use a scrub screw with blue loctite you donā€™t really need to loctite the pulley with green one too. If you afraid the pulley moves you can dremel a small flat spot on the motor shaft. That should fix the pulley like bulletproof :wink:

1 Like

Where did you get that specific pulley puller? Mine sucks ass compared to that oneā€¦

1 Like

Hmm. maybe I try this on my new replacement pulley

From amazon. Is really good but I also had to buy a m8 x 20mm screw cos the tip of the puller isnt long enough to go all the way thru if that makes sense. Those jaw pullers you see are a fucking joke. They can never get a good grip on the pulley.

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07GCHYRM8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

Iā€™m thinking about making a pulley puller that looks much like that, except has bolts on the bottom to grip the pulley with, like the bolts in the middle. And is longer with a longer and bigger center bolt

This thing is a piece of crap but so far has worked 20190202_112527

2 Likes

Yeah, the centre bit on this one is too thick. My pulley bore is 8mm so I just used the 8mm screw to mcgyver it.

You would have to be careful with using bolts at the bottom cos it might be too thick to fit the space between the pulley and motor mount.

edit: dude I already had the exact same one. how the fuck do you grip the pulley with this thing? it kept slipping lmao. i overnighted the amazon puller for that reason.

1 Like

Canā€™t find the picture and an appropriate threadā€¦

@sayekim What rubber/foam did you use inside of your enclosure on your hummie deck?

https://rubber-stuff.co.uk/product/pvc-nitrile-self-adhesive-pad/

3 Likes

Is anyone aware of a well performing, 13s 4a charger under 60 bucks?

Soā€¦ This keyway I have is a big PITA to install. Itā€™s hard to get it into the rotor groove. I could sand it a little to get it in there but I read somewhere here that ā€œmostā€ people donā€™t even use it. Additionally, they said it rattles/makes noises over time.

Quick forum search yields the use of loctite (640?) to install the motor pulley or make a flat spot and use grub screws. How effective are these methods?

Iā€™m leaning towards just the grub screws as I can see myself switching gear ratios. Plus, the motor shaft already has flat spots

Grub screws ftw or both?

I would try the set screw with threadlock on the screw first but make sure it has a flat spot and not a point. I would try it first by spinning the motor with a belt on it and see how it goes without being on it.

1 Like

Use the keyway. Sand a bit if needed. The keyway is a much, much more robust solution than any loctite or grub screw.

1 Like

If you care about rattles and stuff, once itā€™s all working and survives a single <1 mile test ride, then take everything back apart and put it together with loctite and whatnot, and at that point add a drop of superglue to the key

If it doesnā€™t have one, make a flat spot in the motor shaft where 1 of the grub screws hits and use blue loctite, just a couple of drops on opposite sides of the shaft and on the grub screws.

Do this and itā€™s much easier to remove the pulley for maintenance and replacement. I donā€™t use keyways because they make noise and they arenā€™t necessary if you do what I suggest above.

Is there a way to make a key way in a steel sprocket?

Are you talking about the motor pulley? A dremel would be your best bet probably but steel would take a lot more effect than aluminum.

Yeahā€¦need a 3mm key slot in a 25B11 with 8mm bore, I can buy them bored out but not keyed in this sizeā€¦only imperial shafts have keys

Anyone know what kind of trucks these are? Iā€™ve looked on the MBS site and canā€™t find them. They have 12mm shafts, (Thats all I know :laughing:) they were given to me and I plan on using them but the guy who gave them to me doesnā€™t know what model they areā€‹:joy: and I need to know what model so I can get motor mounts. The mounts Iā€™m using now wonā€™t work.20190203_183258 20190203_183254 20190203_183249

Looks for me like the old matrix spring truck image

@idea might have a motor mount for them.