Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Thank you for the help. Not sure if im quoting both of you. Anyway. The build looks great, but it is too big. I like the idea of using LiFePo4 but im really struggling to find anything that would fit without 110 mmh wheels and a lot of risers. But, the packs are made out of many cells like the 18650? So if I bought f.eks 10 of those, then I could arrange them so that they would neatly fit under my board and by that save a lot of space ? I’m also thinking it might be wise to go for hub motors to save space…? Torque is not great on those I know. But I do want smaller wheels, and thought that might make up for it.

I also red that hubs can be pushed around like a regular skateboard, which is great . Very great. So hard this is, heh.

This is a myth spread by marketing departments at companies that sell shitty skateboards. Hub motors and belt drive both have resistance. Gear drive has less than belt.

The good thing about belt is that if you have to, you can cut the belt off with a pocket knife and have ZERO resistance because it IS a regular skateboard. (not the case for any other drive) Then it’s a four dollar, four minute fix once you get home.

Don’t use hubs unless you use Hummie Hubs. No other hubs.

1 Like

Also, i red that a DIY build would most likely cause trouble at the airport ? Really?

Thank you. Then belt is the way to go after all.

Hi , I’m new to the eskate community I recently purchase a “zuke scooter” electronic board it worked well and then it just stopped charging or working I took it apart and everything seems to be plugged in . Can anybody please tell me what’s wrong pleaseimage ![image|375x500]

Maybe it’s the battery ? But I only had this board a week

If you’re looking for lots of range in a small package, LiFePO4 is not the chemistry for you. It is safer and very power-dense, but very lacking in energy density compared to 18650s. (LiFePO4 18650: 30A, 3.63wh. Regular 18650: 20A, 10.8wh.)

You will need more than ten 18650 cells. Probably the minimum viable is 20 (10s2p), and more is better, both for more range and better power for climbing hills.

I hate to say it but it sounds like you’re chasing a unicorn - Tiny build with lots of range and hill climbing ability is very difficult.

Even the build B264 linked which you said is too big only has “About 12 miles (19.3km) at low speed on flat, dry terrain on a warm day is best-case range I think. Real life range probably closer to 8.5 miles (13.7km) or 5 miles (8km) if you’re mashing the throttle.”

1 Like

Check your charger with a voltmeter. Check your battery with a voltmeter. Check your connections with an ohm meter.

Is there anything else I can do? I don’t have any of those I don’t the voltmeter

Buy a cheap multimeter. You don’t need a $200 Fluke, but some kind of multimeter is absolute bare minimum required for working on electric things.

2 Likes

Thank you! The battery confusion is clearing up. Yes, my thoughts as well. The technology seems to not be there yet. I will put the electric skateboard on hold and go for the drone project instead. Which is quite similar. And then come back to this. Good practice.

“I hate to say it but it sounds like you’re chasing a unicorn - Tiny build with lots of range and hill climbing ability is very difficult.”

Tiny build jea, but normal ish sized skateboard. That’s exactly why it needs to be done. I’ll be back! Thank you:)

1 Like

When you do come back, go here first.

Hey to all,

Noob question:

What´s the best DIY BMS solution for li-ion?

–> I want to make my own BMS, is there a all time favorite version? And if yes are there any hardware design files to make one?

Best regards

Noob question 2:

What is the difference between Gear & Belt drive.

Why are they almost no existing gear options? How about maintenance? Friction noise compared to belt? etc etc etc.

What should I go for and what requires least maintenance ?

Thanks to all

Hi there!

I just wanted to ask how are you going with cooling the (V)ESC in the enclosure while maintaining somewhat of a water resistency. I consider vents a big NoNo regarding risk of water ingress.

I would use two Vesc 4.12 with Hub Motors (90mm).

I thought of thermalglueing heatsinks over the FETs and putting a small Noctua fan inside the case blowing onto the heatsinks. But then it is blowing the warm air inside the case onto the heatsinks and not fresh cool air from the outside.

The 4.12 is really badly designed for easy cooling. Your idea would help some, but for anything better I’d recommend one of the 6.x based vescs with directfets and an aluminum heat spreader/heatsink built in. You can pass that through the enclosure or sandwich heatsinks on the outside of the enclosure to conduct heat that way.

Be careful with your heatsinks if you go that route, it’s really easy to accidentally short something out.

Gear drive is heavier, more expensive. Belt drive is lighter, cheaper, simpler. (I am speaking in generalities here.)

Gear drives usually has lower rolling resistance depending on the oil/grease and other factors.

Depending on the exact design, gear drive can be very quiet or quite loud. Belts are usually medium-quiet.

Gear drive usually needs to be enclosed to keep the rocks and dirt out, and keep lubrication in. Belt drive usually tolerates debris very well.

If a belt fails, you can replace it and be on your way. If one of your gears breaks/strips, you need a whole new gear or maybe both.

There are several gear drive options, but for the most part belt drives are better for low ratios (2:1, 3:1) where gear drives really have the advantage with higher ratios (4:1, 5:1).

Given the increased size, weight, cost, and higher ratios, gear drives are most commonly designed for mountainboards, rather than regular street boards. Some examples are Kaly.NYC and 3DServisas.

i bought a 2 wheel drive hub motor board with 110 mm wheels clearence isnt a problem can i go over dirt and short grass?

Yes, but.

Yes, you can go over dirt and grass, but you’ll probably get stuck because urethane wheels are slick and have no knobs like tires do. Best way to test the capability of your vehicle is to actually ride it.

okay im just gonna start out slow thanks