Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

im making a battery pack, was going to use 12/18 AWG, for the bpack and BMS youre saying I should use 24AWG?

he is reffering to the balance wires only and 24AWG is the minimum, means he wouldnĀ“t suggest to go lower in diameter than that. The main leads should be 12 or better 10AWG depending on the size of your battery.

Is 18 good for non main leads? My first pack learning all of this. I was planning on using 12 and 18. Should I do 10 instead Of 12?

Whatā€™s your maximum discharge current? 12AWG is only good for 80, and thatā€™s right on the edge. Personally I wouldnā€™t use 12 for anything above 70 or so.

18 is fine for balance leads, if possibly a little overkill. Iā€™d go with 20 or 22, but either works.

Im using 14awg on the focboxes and pushing 80Aā€¦ Havent been an issue for over a year. From focbox to battery i use 12awg.

I would go

10-12 AWG for the main power leads.

18AWG for the wires to the charge port

20-22 AWG for balance wires.

Please also have a look in our battery build threads. There are a lot of other usefull information to build a good and save pack.

1 Like

Does anyone have any opinions or personal experience with these budget mountainboard wheels on ebay?

Iā€™m looking for a middle of the road choice in wheels. Iā€™m not interested in the highest of high end or slick looks - just something ā€˜good enoughā€™ that wonā€™t break on me

1 Like

they look like the cheap aliexpress wheels. the tire has a hard compound which last pretty long compaired to others from mbs or trampa. canĀ“t say anything about the hubs, but check the bearing size. might be 10mm instead of 12mm and i remember somewhere i read it sucks to get them out and new ones in.

Does surfrodz RKP hanger position allows 2 ride heights because of the offset?

By offset do you mean rake?

I have used those wheels for a long time now. They are very slightly out of balance, but not noticeable when riding. The hubs are good with a 2 part rim bolted together. One side has the pulley built in, its part of the rim. Replacement tires are standard 200x50mm

Most mtbs i have seen pull way more continuous current than a unity can handle when offroading. It would be a negligible price difference to just add the correct wires. I think they used those wires knowing the device couldnā€™t output that much current. I mean, they used a single xt60 for powerā€¦

I havenā€™t seen one yet :pensive:. I would be glad to see those data, so if you have some metr data or similar I would be happy if you could upload some, including pictures of the board that I can copy it :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Small edit to the xt60. Might want to watch that video with a load test.

Iā€™m more a fan of xt90 and 8-10awg but 10s with 180a over an xt60 with 12awg without any damage is pretty lot i think. Not sure who could run such battery currents. Ok, to be fair maybe duffmann :sweat_smile:

Edit edit: might want to watch that as well.

As you might see out of the log data there is not really a constant load. If you would drive up a steep hill off-road for 500m or more that might look different.

2 Likes

Are M5 countersunk bolt heads the same dimension across the board? Iā€™m having a hard time nailing down the diameter, height, and angle of the head for a project Iā€™m working on.

That first video is great! So a xt60 can handle 100a loads for at least 15 secondsā€¦

Too bad he doesnt make videos anymore :frowning: I want to see a MR-60 test

im sure it exists but I like specific formats :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Iso metric is the standard youā€™re looking for

machinescrews

Only dimension that changes in m5 is the length

2 Likes

Guys I have come here as a long time informer first time asker of the noob questions. However it may not be a noob question. Currently using a psychotiller 405 enclosure with thread inserts I want to take it off as it has been heavily modified and I have a brand new altar wedge that I want to put on the board and had tiller make it 1/8 of an inch taller just to give everything a little extra room. My question is how would I go about putting this new enclosure on using my preexisting holes with inserts in so everything lines up properly?

Hmmm maybe put a bolt in each threaded insert and coat the head in sharpie/highlighter/glue/paint/chalk and then try to line up the new enclosure so the marks transfer?

Or get a big sheet of paper and punch out the holes.

1 Like

The big sheet of paper could probably work as I have some big rolls of the newspaper ends. I could also probably put white out on the bolts and then place the new one over top so it marks them with the whiteout.

Does anyone know where to get a 12s4p battery with a bms and charger included that will fit in eboostedā€™s 12s enclosure. Preferably for under $500. And shipping to the U.S.