Motor Review Thread

A60-8S - V4 28 pole - 2,800 watt brushless motor - 188 kv - $233.99

Finally, one of the best RC motor brans that could be used for esk8. (not cheap thou)

The A60 M and A60 L look like normal SK3 with a fancy fan attached to the end and no phase wires… Are you supposed to solder them by yourself?

I have minimal experience with the motors we use for eskating purposes since I only have a set of eskating.eu (maytech) sealed 6355s. So far they have been fine apart from 2 problems.

1. I constantly overheat the motors (I have set the limit on my VESCs at 80C)
  2. The tiny grub screws that hold the shaft to the motor can are not enough (not to mention they strip if you look at them wrong).

I want to buy a set of 6374s but I am torn between the sealed and the normal version. The sealed is, well, sealed :smirk: but I expect the normal version to have better cooling. Since I live in a country that can get quite hot during the summer I lean towards the latter. I try not to ride in rainy weather but there are some days where you just can’t help it. What would you do?

1 Like

Buy unsealed motors and cover the sensor stuff later with some kind of coating. That’s how I made an I plan to drive in snow with it…hope it will work out :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I ran a set of tb6355 for nearly 1.5 years. No problems. Uncensored.

Honestly, the factory selling sensored sk3s probably takes the crown at the moment. They are tried and tested in every kind of build and the only downside has been a lack of sensors and the fact that they are open.

Neither bothers me personally

1 Like

But are they actually better? Haven’t seen a test showing

Someone did a group buy from them before

Had all the upgrades :slight_smile:

Before we get too excited to spend 200+ on motors from hacker, keep in mind that they are still OEMing from a Chinese factory and we basically no way to verify that they are having motors made with tighter quality controls. It comes down to internet anecdotes and brand trust. Otherwise, emax markets what visually appears to be the same motor at a cheaper price. Is hacker marketing a better product? Probably, maybe, maybe not, we don’t know. Very frustrating.

https://www.emaxmodel.com/brushless-motors/gt5335.html

I’m surprised with all the testing equipment rc plane people have there isn’t more comparison. Hacker from what it seems on the web could be totally the same motors as others a fraction the price. At least scorpion motors make claim of better high temp curved magnets and they specify the lamination thickness.

But eskate more than anything just need motors not to break

But there’s some fancy German outrunner company I forget the name. Doing stuff.

Maybe hacker has better inrunners

No one in the RC world cares about our comically large 50mm and 63mm motors unfortunately. There are some big motors in the quad world, but those are like 7018 motors, which I suppose could work well, but might look kind of funny.

This is the real problem, it’s easy to test for motor output efficiency and short-term max current capability. It’s not easy to test for long-term durability.

1 Like

No one even tests for eff and power output. But a lot of the plane people use 50 n 60mm motors.

1 Like

Kontronik

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/welcome-to-the-lounge/9/2556?u=taz

No access to the link

https://www.kontronik.com/en/products/motors/pyro/pyro-1000.html

Key points:

• Neodymium magnets, heat resistant up to 150 °C
  • Dedicated enameled wire, heat resistant up to 300 °C

The bad: Mucho dinero…:disappointed: kv not suitable for most eskate applications

1 Like

RIP We need someone to realise this niche and create a reliable, powerful motor that suitable for esk8. I think the demand would be there

On a current conquest to find reliable motors and came upon these:

Seems like they didn’t have stuff like this a few months ago

Looks like Scepters / Now Jaunx motors

Anyone up for some science?

We really should set up a community research fund so we can test out more shit

2 Likes

TBH, I have used 4 dark matter style motors, and I am not a fan… not one bit.

2 Likes

Did a hour of searching and see more back vendors adopting from this OEM.

Any opinion on the SK3 Motors? I would be interested in another group buy like this one:

Yeah the factory is still around and the MOQ isn’t that high either