Motor Review Thread

Share with us what are some good motors that you’ve used? Would help a lot of us with our journey to find good esk8 motors. Can be sensored or unsensored. All sizes If you recommend a motor and then have issues with it, let us know what happened!

1 Like

I was waiting for someone to make a thread like this.

Apparently the new maytech 6365 motor is great, according to what I have seen in messages @skunk @sender @mmaner @psychotiller

5 Likes

Maytech or torqueboard

1 Like

YAS-LAWD

5 Likes

There’s already a couple of decent threads about this. Basically it depends on what you want from your motor- speed, stealth or torque.

1 Like

I’ve heard nothing but great things about the SK3s and the newer, sensored SK8s. I know of dudes that have put thousands of miles on their SK3s and my SK8s have taken quite a bit of abuse, regularly scraping on gutters and stuff and I’ve had no issues

3 Likes

Honestly, I dont think we have any idea which motors are good. We dont have reliable data on failure rates. It seems like the only people with better knowledge on motor quality are the people who are commissioning runs from the factories and selling them, so yeah… sight conflict of interest.

So in lieu of making actual informed decisions, it comes down to the “you get what you pay for” crowd vs the “budget motors are good enough” crowd, with no way of actually proving anyone right.

3 Likes

Well I know little a bit on where motors come from and whats shit and whats good. And what you can do to make a shit motor a good motor, and so do other people.

2 Likes

I don’t think there are any good motors that are being used for esk8 (…yet?). There are however those that are less sh*tty than others.

4 Likes

We could make a poll.

@moon please drop that knowledge! I really want to have a practical ways of evaluating motors.

bearing quality and magnet wire enamel quality might be important, but we dont know how to identify quality stator lamination thickness might be important, but we dont know how much it actually affects things etc

2 Likes

Agreed! @moon Share thy secrets! or have they got something on you and you cant risk telling the secrets?!? Blink once for yes and twice for no

biggest problem seems to be

1. magnets getting loose or breaking
  2. shaft moving out of position
  3. motor overheating - insufficient cooling / heat distribution

edit; fake bearings sais the car in red

4 Likes

Add fake bearings to the list And lack of waterproofing/conformal coating on sensor pcb assembly and windings (some cheap motors)

2 Likes

Whats the future of esk8 motors as in what motors would be better?

@Sebike @moon So basically every aspect of the Motor except the casing colors and Hall sensor

1 Like

the shaft itself is usually ok, unless you ask an idiot to add a keyway lol @Kug3lis

2 Likes

I have had great luck w/ TB (6374 and 6380) and BKB 6374 motors… besides that i will be testing out some 8072 leopard motors in a couple weeks

1 Like

Haha I was like wtf what :smiley: So far solid motors… just need bigger esc :smiley:

1 Like

there’s a first time for everything right :sweat_smile: