Motor Review Thread

There are already quite a few suitable motors now. The problem is that no matter what motor you use there will always be someone who has had an issue. Use the tried and tested units that people have been using for years and you should be fine. For example; I have 4 sk8 192’s Out of the four 1 threw a bearing. After 50 km of use. Would I recommend them to someone else? Of course I would, it was an anomaly. It was replaced and all good. I have 2 maytechs which have been fine for a year. Would I recommend them? Yes of course I would. I have 2 sk3 which are my personal favourite and obviously I would recommend them I have 2 tb 6374’s that are fine after 6 months and again recommended. I have 3 cheap generic chinese oem motors that have all failed. I bought them because they were cheap and no I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone. Point is no motor or indeed anything we use is going to be bullet proof (that’s the holy grail) but you get what you pay for and you pay for good quality control and decent customer service for when that QC lets you down.

4 Likes

This thread would be more useful if it had charts for each specific motor in regards to power and torque. But then you couldn’t overlay the data of 4 different motors on the same graph for a comparison due to this website’s format.

1 Like

Hacker, along other german brands like Plettenberg and Lehner, are regarded as one of the best electric motors you can get for any type of RC modeling.

https://hackermotorusa.com

http://www.plettenberg-motors.com

http://www.lehner-shop.com

https://hackermotorusa.com/shop/hacker-brushless-motors/outrunners/a60-24s-v2-28-pole-kv195/

This one seems to fit most of our boards (if you’re using TB Trucks or similar)

I remember reading on an rc forum that hacker outrunner are made by Sunray (aka sk3), while their in runners are made in Germany.

Maybe their inrunners are something special but hacker outrunners are possibly the same as many other brands and from same factory, so I read on the web. Rediculous there aren’t decent comparisons available. That seems half the hobby. The other German brands like Lehner and pletten… I think maybe those are something legit. At least Lehner has that nice potential to reterminate wye or delta. I don’t see any claims of materials or airgap diameter. Stuff seems sold for a fortune based on no facts.

How hard is it to run two motors through the same paces and get a temp reading?

2 Likes

That would imply people willing to buy it in the first place to compare it. It’s easy to do so for May-techs and Flipsky since they’re cheap and at times plug and play. Not so much motors that are $250+

Someone here has bucks burning their pocket. I’d think someone somewhere in the rc plane world would’ve done it by now.

1 Like

They probably have, we just need to find the right forum

These have been really great for me so far and I’ve had the whole range from TB to Maytech to Turnigy…

IMG_3772

(They’re made by a US OEM, not related to Turnigy at all despite similarity in looks)

4 Likes

Those look good. Which are they? Not seeing them on the Hoyt st site

They’re not for sale unfortunately :cry:

Trying to get something going with this OEM through Hoyt though, it would be insanely great if the current plan worked out! MOQ is 200 or something ridiculous though and these are super expensive…

4 Likes

:frowning: why would you tease us :frowning: I wish they would sell them though, looks like they have potential

1 Like

Also, surprised to see you using an Evolve deck. Dont know why, but its surprising :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Haha I like the drop! And honestly it’s pretty A E S T H E T I C

IMG_3769 IMG_3767

5 Likes

Indeed the A E S T H E T I C is strong …but could you imagine if it was matte carbon instead of gloss? :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s ok just step on it a bunch :rofl:

1 Like

1600 pounds for a motor? One. It wants to be good for that money, Its wants to be able to jump off the board and go get me a beer for that money. Holy crap. The hacker looks the best option at 195 kv in a 60x60 package. Bit more realistic pricing too.

1 Like

I love the carbon gt deck. Its a pretty thing. White wheels too. mmmmmm ps that was just nasty on the motors. Look at my lovely motors, oh sorry you can’t have them. :joy:

2 Likes

Exactly. Wheres PETBP?? (People for the Ethical Treatment of Broke People)

2 Likes