Metasurf Direct Drive ?!

So you are testing. When are you expecting your Direct Drive to hit the streets? $90 dollars is to cheap for such a motor? Whats the difference with other motors? I got my T-Max 5335 (unsensored) for $55 shipping included; not so long ago Ollin 5065 200Kv (sensored) were on sale for $47… what makes these good outrunner motors so cheap and Direct Drive more than twice as expensive?

Edit:

Oh, you just give the answer :ok_hand:

@torqueboards

More customized more specific parts. More parts are upgraded for durability since they aren’t being ridden on compared to a regular belt driven motor. Higher quality material for all parts. All parts are made from billet aluminum.

You could always make them cheaper. But that always depends on the company providing the product.

I wanted something better. If people don’t want it… that’s fine by me. :smile:

We can always buy $90 direct drive motors. I’m game too.

No point in everyone offering $90 direct drive motors (if it’s even possible). More options across different price points is great for the community in my opinion.

no shaft tough:p if you order enough from factory such “direct drive” motors should just be same price as you order normal outrunners. 90bucks for an unsensored 6374 is ok imo.

i would like to see the back side of the motors, the part wich goes on the axle.

I don’t think they are 6374, look to small to me, but I can be wrong. maybe 6355. The back based on the pictures is like maytech hubs with a square collar. Even without the truck won’t be difficult to mold a normal truck for it. I did it already.

3 Likes

What magic do you use :laughing:

Well mostly a lathe to be precise. Sometimes I did by hand for small parts. IMG_20180926_185755 IMG_20180928_184136

Their trucks are to long anyway for my taste.

5 Likes

Haha, mold normally means sculpt like clay or etc that’s why I was asking what kind of magic you use to mold trucks likes its clay :smiley:

1 Like

ahahahah sorry used the wrong term. Better modify then.

looks like a square index, just like maytech/others do on their hub motors. Thinking about this, it might not be to hard to build your own direct drives.

Take a motor like this: APS 6355S Sensored Outrunner brushless motor 60KV 1700W or this APS 6374S Sensored Outrunner brushless motor 60KV 2800W

Remove the shaft, CNC a part that bolts on the front with a square index, and a part that bolts on the back with either flywheel or kegel adapters. then use a lathe to turn down your trucks to 10mm and file a square index on it.

4 Likes

well man we had the same idea…that’s what I am doing with my hub, but believe me that is not that simple and cost efficient has you might think.

Totally believe you, however it would be a cool diy project :stuck_out_tongue:

Its a pretty cool project, a few on the forum has done it with those motors.

Also some just buy a koowheel motor and make a adapter and longer axle i remember someone did it on a pair of trampa or MBS trucks.

Is this what Carvon did with the Koowheel hubs for the Exo Pro?

True, that’s why I am doing it :grin:

image image

16 Likes

For me this is one of the best diy DD

4 Likes

yes It’s really well done!

1 Like

I did ask for more pictures on the trucks and how the motors connects to the trucks. Stay tune

Totally agree with @torqueboards here.

I agree with the man… Multiple price points is a good game, and quality control costs money. I’ve found that in this hobby, a lot of times, even when you buy quality parts there is still high failure rate, because esk8 is a grand abuse of hardware. But quality seems to last longer, so it is often worth the money.

2 Likes

The modularization bit looks like poor translation… Theres a chinese ESC in there. The owner is trying to get the message across that its easy to swap it out for focboxs if you wanted to.

1 Like

I know, I dont expect nothing it was at the beginning when everything looked susipicious :smiley: