Metasurf Direct Drive ?!

It’s for science!

They will, but 60Kv that usually is a bit less, you won’t get a lot of speed at 10s.

1 Like

So won’t keep up with the usual Chinese hubs at 10s?

It depends on what diameter of wheels you use but you can use this calculator to calculate it (use 60kv and 16 teeth motor and wheel pulley so gearratio is 1)

I have found that on 10s with 100mm wheels the topspeed is only 36 km/h and 12s with 100mm is 46km/h

2 Likes

TO get similar top speed you need to use 100mm wheels, so since for the moment the core is ABEC you can go 97mm for 34kmh (I bit less usually then predicted one) or 107mm for about 37kmh. The bigger the wheel the less otrque and with ESC also less braking I believe,

1 Like

Yes you are right, the braking force is also made by the torque (its just deccelerating instead of accelerating)

1 Like

Wheeet?? …there goes the next check. This is fkng insaneee!!

"Senor Pepe" - Haggy 90mm Wheels

Bergmeister (Mountain King) Pneumatic 150mm Tires

… don’t want to highjack. Someone pleasseeeee open another tread with this new lead… :point_down:

1 Like

@sofu the real questions is will he give you the trucks also. If yes then I am in for a pair for science!

I’ll get on a call with the owner again later this week. Again he is open to custom orders provided we have the number NOT YET a group buy. Also not related to @sofu visiting in person :slight_smile: Separate thread with poll here:

3 Likes

Thanks all those that have responded. I have consolidated the results and was able to get on a call with the owner. In an effort to not double post. I’ll be providing future updates on the poll thread: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/metasurf-direct-drive-gauge-interest-for-potential-group-buy/70064

Dope. I was wanting to buy the Torqueboards direct drives when they come out but couldn’t justify paying that much. This Metasurf drive might be a game changer for the eskate community, hopefully.

1 Like

Did torque boards say how much they’ll be charging for their DD?

This came out of the blue. The whole thing is all about timing. A missed opportunity for Torqueboards. Now they will see how many forum members are going to jump into the Direct Drive bandwagon… and they wont be the ones who provide the motoring.

Well they will be providing the motors but only for the members willing to spend more money and get premium parts and service

4 Likes

@pixelsilva So basically, you want to promote the pre-orders, no testing, sell to us as soon as possible. I’m okay with waiting 1-2 years until I receive my product? Basically, what everyone already has issues with.

Definitely, not a missed opportunity. A direct drive motor for $90. That just doesn’t make any sense. But sure if they are able to provide it… more power to them.

At the end of the day. More options for the consumer. Better support and service for the consumer.

21 Likes

Just curious why is a direct drive has to be significantly more expensive than normal motor of the same size? Is it because it uses bigger bearings and has a whole lot of extra parts or is it because they haven’t made enough of those yet and hence have to charge more to quickly recover the setup cost?

1 Like

I feel like DD motors take a beating. You’re literally ridding on top of them. I dont think it’s as simple as just adapting current motors.

1 Like

More customized more specific parts. More parts are upgraded for durability since they aren’t being ridden on compared to a regular belt driven motor. Higher quality material for all parts. All parts are made from billet aluminum.

You could always make them cheaper. But that always depends on the company providing the product.

I wanted something better. If people don’t want it… that’s fine by me. :smile:

We can always buy $90 direct drive motors. I’m game too.

No point in everyone offering $90 direct drive motors (if it’s even possible). More options across different price points is great for the community in my opinion.

15 Likes

Haha I’m just as ecstatic about these metasurf motors as you guys are… I want me a pair too.

7 Likes

It’ll be great if you can share the Taiwanese price of the motor and truck. The USD price includes international shipping to the US, but since I’m based in Asia, I will be buying via their Taiwanese site and arranging shipping back myself. Thanks!