Guys, please use quality bearings

Highly recommended ceramic bearing. Ceramics are just better for eskate application as metallic Balls expand with heat causing extra wear.

1 Like

On the other hand Iā€™ve heard tales of ceramic bearings exploding and siezing the wheel

5 Likes

4 for me for stretched cores? @ChrisChaput fiberglass reinforced cores are the link between our bank accounts!!! otherwise my paychecks are going to be addressed to you with me as a cc edit* not

edit edit: Lol ( @b264 , right damnit??? ) Edit edit edit: not that I dont REALLY love abec wheels, I just hate the creaky sounds of loose bearings. drunk texting is slanderous and nucalledfer

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure it happens no bearing is infallible. From personal experiences I have chewed through metal bearing in weeks from cheap to expensive, but ceramics last significanty longer.

1 Like

I goes to sleepsnow.

4 Likes

I had a motor mount come with idler bearings that looked like these, (red seal) they had so much play I could not even bring myself to use them for the idler. Really crap.

Dress warm and nighty-night

The one set that @b264 had explodenon him where full ceramics. Ceramic balls with ceramic racers. @b264 is testing some silicon nitride bearings from a company I have been talking to for a while. He is giving them a real test in the harsh winter commute with brine and water.

2 Likes

Word.

10char

Damn you. There goes my chance at new tyres for the old Carvons.

Iā€™m not sure how good it is for bearings specifically, but white lithium grease sticks and it will stay in your bearing. I would also suggest using something specially formulated for bearings such as Boneā€™s Speed Cream, which is meant for skateboard applications. https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Cream-By-Bones-Bearings/dp/B00HX2DKSM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1545066578&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=bones+speed+cream&psc=1

Grease is for after you have cleaned your bearing. I dont relaly clean bearings, i throw them in a box and put new one in. Because Iā€™m lazy. And I just donā€™t wanna. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Battosaii Thanks for the link, I will go get them from Walmart.
@mmaner Thanks for the link, repel water and dust is definitely a plus.
@psychotiller You are the man!!! @VECTOR.xyz Thanks for the info, I will take a look at them.

So here is the question, what bearing should I use next? Normal one (non ceramic) with the gun oil or ceramic ones with the gun oil or any other options?

Not a fan of ceramics. When they fail they fail catastrophically.

Get zealous bearings itā€™s $14 for a set and they come with built in spacers and a Nano ceramic grease that they claim will make the.bearing roll smooth even if it developes imperfections.

They also have ceramics for $27 but I have not tried it.

They are on sale on Miurskate for 12.99 https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/bearings/26121/zealous-built-in-bearings

2 Likes

@Battosaii is right in my experience. The speeds and start/stop stresses are too much for ceramics. The shatter and cause the bearing to seize, which causes the wheel to seize which causes you too fly like a crazy person and land on you faceā€¦which is not a good day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hereā€™s some historyā€¦

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-use-pm/2992/5244?u=mmaner

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen this happen before with those cores! In my years downhill skating, companies that use cheaper plastic cores can actually melt from overheating due to tons of resistance and friction in cheap or rusted bearings.

A buddy of mine actually fell really badly because his core melted and the wheel fell off while we were doing about 35mph.

Solution: maintain your bearings (donā€™t buy cheap) or get wheels that have a heat resistant core!

2 Likes

were these actually ceramic (white) or where they silicon nitride (blackish grey).

I have lost a front wheel before due to my own failure to lube my bearings. My experience is most bearings will come with very light lube. Best to pop the seals and grease those balls right out of the box. Since we are riding powered boards it is easy to overlook a bearing that needs some love.

3 Likes

If your bearings are getting hot, then its just a matter of time until something bad happens, heat resistant cores or not.