Guys, please use quality bearings

I suppose that’s true since e-board maintain a pretty constant speed. Doing downhill is pretty intense for a few minutes, but the ride back up to the top of the hill lets them cool down.

Either way, i’ve seen this happen several times to Abec and Sector 9 wheels, but not other wheels like Seismic who put tons of testing in their cores.

1 Like

Totally recommend this :arrow_up: Also some seem to have water soluble lube that is gone after the first bit of water.

I am always listening for any strange noises. Bearings should be silent. Its easy with the front wheels to hear but the driven wheels it can be tricky to hear a dry bearing.

I understand its probably an ‘apply as you go’ type of application with grease, but is there a general rule of thumb for how long between applications?

All this hubbub has me worried about my trampa build… at least while im still using the plastic hubs ;-;

What are you doing to your bearings… :open_mouth: days. But very true ceramics will shatter with large impacts. But the impact would still deform a metal bearing either way you are replacing a bearing. Keep in mind i only way 60kg so i stress less.Though still bent two 8mm axles. :S

@Battosaii I use to run Swiss Ceramic for years. Swapped last year to zealous ceramics when i replace mine i’m buying some more zealous ceramics. Its really hard to justify that extra cost of Swiss Ceramics now.

1 Like

@Battosaii Got it, just got two sets.

@mmaner I will read more about them

@chaka Yeah, those light lube they come with apparently not enough. I will definitely lube it more before I put them on.

Looking for the same answer for how the bearing maintenance should be like @anon64938381 mentioned.

1 Like

Seeing this post made me drop everything and go lube my bearings, so I did. I took my bearings, bearing covers, spacers, and shims, and I put them in a cup of acetone and shook them for a bit, After, I let the acetone dry while the clean parts rested on a paper towel. When dry, I put teflon silicone lubricant in the bearings and reassembled it. Works better than new.

I learned recently not to put grease in skate bearings because the ball bearings in the bearings have a very small contact area with the outer casing, so something thick like grease would actually slow it down. For skate bearings, thinner lubricants should be used (liquids). Remington gun oil sounds like it would work really well.

Careful with that, most silicone lubes aren’t designed for high pressure. Also, grease is usually fine, especially for Eskate. Zealous are some fast bearings that lots of people ride for DH which are filled with grease. The limiting factor for speed becomes air drag pretty quickly.

2 Likes

What’s the thoughts on nitride coated bearings? this coating is used on motorbike staunchions (forks) to refuce stiction & has increased tolerance to corrosion, surely a plus? No danger of disintegration

I don’t think they’ve been around long enough to have a reputation yet.

Sounds good in theory.

Edit: What nitride coated bearings are available anyway? Is it just the bronson bearings?

1 Like

On topic. You just need something slightly better than bottom of the barrel dirt cheap skate bearing.

I found industrial bearings to be quite good and long life if packed with grease. And are so cheap as to be disposable.

Any half decent branded skate bearing will be good. But there are skate bearings so cheap that they barely roll. Think kids walmart skateboard bearings. They are much lower quality than industrial bearings. :open_mouth: Probably similar to what OP got.

Before I went to 10mm axles I used bones red (race) they include a spacer. They work perfect, quite durable and reasonably priced.

https://www.amazon.com/Bones-Race-Reds-Bearings-608mm/dp/B01MSILENU

I would not use ceramic balls on the powered wheels, I have seen enough guys on this forum blow them up for it to not be worth the risk. Id rather buy a cheaper bearing and replace it once a year or when ever needed.

1 Like

I’m in contact with a bearing company that does Hybrid bearings that use silicon nitride. Currently @b264 is testing a set in his winter elements.

2 Likes

I felt this exact way and have blown them up myself. We’ll see how these hold up. Unfortunately, the better they are, the longer it will be until we know the results…

1 Like

Ceramics implode catastrophically. No warning just disintegration. All new bearings no matter the quality deserve your attention. How many do you think they check at the factory QA process? Pop those things open and grease them up. As for regreasing I’m with @mmaner who has the time. Change those suckers out. I buy good quality scooter bearings because they are the strongest and use tap grease. It has a high water resistant quality. Less likely to wash out

1 Like

I afraid of bending up the seals taking them apart, because the ones I have taken apart it’s too easy to put dents in the seals so they don’t fully seal anymore

1 Like

With the boy and his antics I have become somewhat of an expert on bearing maintenance. He goes through them like a champion. Nothing puts more pressure on a bearing than a kid landing from 6 feet up sideways all day long.They take a lot of punishment and nothing we do compares tbh. I use a scalpel or an old fashioned razor blade to prise the shield off and re pack. The very best bearings I use for him come from a company called apex over here and they are a pro scooter firm. They use true abec bearings not the chinese copies and they last. Longer than any other I’ve tried. The local scooter shop owner actually imports his own now and they are a great unit too. I don’t have the inclement weather you do so as for water and brine ingress no, but for sheer destruction the boy has no equal

Unfortunately, the better they are, the longer it will be until we know the results…

Well then you’re just going to have to ride them harder.

Get yourself some slide wheels and start power drifting.

1 Like

Brine does.

1 Like

Over time yes but he can fuck a set of bearings to absolute powder in 2 days. Hes a bearing nemesis

2 Likes

The bearings I’m getting from the company that @b264 is testing use true abec ratings as well they have been doing bearings for bicycles and I’m the first person to come to them for bearings to be used in a skate application. Thus the reason I past along my discount to b264 so he can subject them to the toughest conditions and if they survive his daily use in tough conditions then they are the real deal.

I talked to the company about the bearings exploding and they said they could see ceramics exploding because the Zirconia isn’t a regulated item where silicon nitride is more regulated because it is used in medical applications. They also said that if there is a blow out if they can see some pictures of it they will send out replacements for the blown ones. So that isn’t a bad deal.

2 Likes

I see the use of quality ceramics being a plus for us. Especially the guys in snowy conditions. Absolutely and Brian is your man for that test. I think the issue with ceramics so far is the same old chinese bollocks. We just don’t know what we are getting most of the time but if high end car manufacturers can use it for brakes and guns can be made of it then surely if its quality we won’t be able to kill it. My only tester causes impact damage not general wear and tear via weather. Oh and I have 100 scooter bearings sitting in my workshop lol