Guys, please use quality bearings

Hey guys, just a reminder to use quality bearings on all of your builds. While riding 20ish mph uphill this happened, luckily, I am safe and sound.

If anyone got extra SINGLE 107mm wheel, I am happy to take it out of your hands. Or anyone wants three wheels, let me know, rode less than 30 miles.

6 Likes

Wtf? How even

6 Likes

Did you have speedrings in there?

5 Likes

It looks like the core melted?!

I’ve had bearings go boom before but I’ve never seen the wheel melt

6 Likes

i think bearing seized up while I was riding, and it got hotter and hotter, then melted whole thing.

1 Like

Yes, I definitely did.

1 Like

Yes, the wheel core is melted.

How did it feel when the wheel flew off the hanger? Did you fall?

The wheel didn’t actually fell off the hanger before I stopped. Pulley and belt probably held it there for that couple seconds. I felt the rear is getting really bumpy, probably the feel of rolling on a square shaped wheel, then I looked back, the wheel is flopping around, first thought came to mind is I broke the axle out of the hanger. But it’s the bearings.

And thanks for your concern, I didn’t fall.

2 Likes

I’ve had a problem with cracking wheel cores before but this is crazy! Were the bearings rusty by chance? Or just Chinese crap bearings?

Glad you’re ok. That’s my biggest fear with esk8. I guess it could’ve been much worse if you were going downhill.

1 Like

I had this set of bearings on the shelf for a long time at least half a year, but I just put them on this morning before I went out for this ride, they are new, just been sitting there for a while. I am not sure if they are from China, but the bearings says “ABEC7 608RS” on it.

1 Like

I wonder if these wheels could be modified to fit on a set of carvon 2.5? I can check the cores of mine to see the modification needed. It would be for a 4x4 build. I’m in the UK and would be interested to see if it would work, for science of course.

5 Likes

I am currently using the cheapest Chinese bearings greased with unsalted butter. The oil which was applied didn’t want to stay for longer than a few miles. Better check on the oil status when running those dirt cheap bearings. Other than that they perform well :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Did you have the appropriate size spacer inside your wheel? The only times I’ve seen cores melt is when the bearings get seized from over-tightening them without a spacer. The spacer needs to be at least the same width as your core.

I just had the same thing happen to me yesterday. I was riding around 5mph and the wheel just kinda popped off. I was using some shit-tier bearings from some flywheel clones I bought a while back. When I inspected the 7 remaining bearings there was so much slop that you could wiggle the inner race 5 to 10 degrees. No signs of rust or wear, just all around terrible bearings. Will not be making the same mistake again!

Cocoa butter I think is the best mechanical lube you can eat.

5 Likes

Coconut oil is up there

1 Like

Can you take a pic of the bearings that are still good?

1 Like