Discussing esk8 deck: "Doobie" 39" Deck with Kicktail & milled out area for electronics

Yep still want to do this.

2 Likes

I think the trick will be to get one of these built up and let it talk for itself. Want to get it done?

1 Like

Ben, I was planning on asking you if you have acess to a CNC machine anywhere. IF so I could send you a 3d file and you can have them cut it. Maybe what we do is send you the mold, and obviously we need to send you a deck too. But I can make a nice mold file. Let’s get together. Also Psychotiller call out, do you want a mold too, or a mold file?

I’ll see what I can do with tracking down some friendly cnc’s. Or I could custom build direct off the deck. Gonna crash now but I’ll pick up on the morning.

1 Like

You know a giant ginger dude with a CNC :wink:

2 Likes

I think it would be kind of cool if there was 2 makers of the same mold (in diff countries)

2 Likes

Ah yes, I can access a CNC!

1 Like

Is it manageable that I send you a file, we work on, and you can have it cut out? Same goes for everyone doing good work in enclosures.

If you send me the file I’ll see what I can get cut.

K we must make that file. Mind if you post some pics of the most helpful angles of the work you’d be using to make the enclosures?

Any more updates on this project?

@drangboards would it be difficult to add wire channels in the rear? As most of us run the wire’s out toward the back of the board and run them next to the riser into the enclosure. maybe a wire channel on each side of the rear trucks for phase wires would be nice. But i don’t know how hard this would be to mass produce so let us know.

A channel would also make a watertight encloser much simpler.

1 Like

I have been waiting to finish this board to decide exactly what else can go into it, such as water seal channel, and wire exits, and mounting holes. We can also cut the enclosure just a bit deeper too, by about 1mm to a total depth of 12.xxmm

Let’s spec this out group.

5 Likes

Any updates? Kinda eager to see what all features were added to the board.

None have been added. I guess the ball is in my court, but it could also be in someone elses court. You maybe? Do you have a list of things you’d like to see, and do you have any input on nuances of it all? Pipe up people.

1 Like

For now, i want something like the pic below. Channels for phase wires and sensor wires like @longhairedboy does will require milling from the other side if I am not wrong. curved_deck_cut

2 Likes

Routing channels on the bottom of the deck is possible but less ideal compared to the top of the deck manly because of the difficulty to make it look aesthetically pleasing. the top of the deck can be gripped over.

This would add another machining step but would be worth the result

Here is a example of both but with a 4th channel on each side for sensor wires:

Bottom:

Top: Preferred method

Would also love to see a recessed edge around the enclosure cut out so that the face of the mounting lip can lay flush with the deck.

1 Like

first post ever… super interested in this @drangboards

2 Likes

Top routes are definately a new challenge because I only have CNC fixtures built for bottom machining, however, it isn’t hard to make another side. … I guess the more people who want to buy one the more I’ll be able to justify it.

2 Likes