Discussing esk8 deck: "Doobie" 39" Deck with Kicktail & milled out area for electronics

dude if you put wire channels in that board. i am sold.

The board is putty in the hands of your imagination.

3 Likes

I think wire channels and battery cutout is enough along with what you have already done with the deck. It is a diy community after all.

Maybe even an option for wire channel cutouts on both the head and tail end for builders who build 4WD boards? just a thought

1 Like

It is only a matter of projecting 2d vectors onto 3d objects which are already created so yeah Iā€™m all for it.

3 Likes

I really donā€™t see the problem with roadside wire channels. Bringing up longhairedboys version of it and then saying cover it with griptape is funny considering he doesnā€™t really cover things with griptape

2 Likes

I do like what he does with the channels on his build with the lights and everything. Not sure what material is laid over to cover the channel while allowing the transparent look.

Man, rear wire channels and Iā€™d be 100% in. Top or bottom, doesnā€™t matter to me. No wire channels? Iā€™m considering this GB either way. This deck is sweet.

2 Likes

maybe we just pop through somewhere, and then flip it over and see what happensā€¦ There can be hand processes added.

1 Like

@drangboards, if you finalize the shape of the recess and the position of the holes, Iā€™ll send you a 3D printed enclosure with matching holes. My 3D printer is just sitting idle these days.

That sounds awesome. What do you think about doing more?

Whatā€™s the latest ongoing specs for parts for this board @drangboards? Truck width, battery size (21700, 18650, 10p, 12p, etcā€¦ ), preferred motor (6550, 6374, etcā€¦)ā€¦ Iā€™ve scanned through the entire thread and seen specs here and there but itā€™ll be nice to get a current run down. Am putting together a parts wish list right now :slight_smile: chur bro!

What specs do you want to know exactly? I think one big question is going to be motor mounts running into the drops. angle changes might be mandatory for some set ups, however if youā€™re rocking 90mm + wheels youā€™ll need at least .5" of riser to be comfy, and wheel bite could still occur thereafter at about 15 degrees board lean or more. Check out this wheel bite demonstration using 50 degree baseplates. I am going to redo this math at some point with 23 degree rear truck and different front angles to figure out what to use on the board Iā€™m referencing right now pictured below. This model has 95mm wheels at the moment. Wheel bite is going to happen sooner on the Doobie. The Doobie needs .5" of riser in order to get over 15Ā° deck lean.

Here is a quick render of the doobie. This one shows me that probably anything will fit all except for in the area of the enclosure.

On second thought here is the contact point. I think I remember adjusting the angle of the woosh to accommodate the needed enclosure area which was dictated by the height of the unity and it has 50Ā° baseplates.

See where my mouse is on the screen that is where contact would occur between the woosh set up at some angle (not sure how to reference that at this point)

Donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing, but it would at least fit this many batteries and a unityā€¦

4 Likes

Still need to make the shape about .5" longer. Weā€™re going to press another blank, and give that one a slightly different cut. This one didnā€™t get full pressure for as long as needed, and it relaxed significantly so before I decide on a shorter kick I need to feel the full geometry.

Overall length could be as long as 40" (101cm)

1 Like

Oh I forgot to mention I added 2 wheel base options in the rear of the deck, so motors will clear for sure! Iā€™d say after adding those wheel base options we can green light any and all motor set ups.

Letā€™s get a tally of how many of these decks are going to be pressed. Price is going to range between what and what? That is the question.

If you want to forgo any of the specifications like battery cut, ply count, various holes, wire cuts ect, then I can proceed on making your board with no obstructions. That board will be cheaper.

Until I finish the remainder of the design I wonā€™t have one totally done but we can start pressing and curing them asap. Better to cure a 12 ply deck for a few weeks to a month before cutting.

1 Like

Oh and this is the truck mounts and motors moved back 1" image

Not alot of wheel bite with 95mm image

4 Likes

Sweet! Nice update! Yeah spec wise Iā€™m looking at a dual belt drive 170kv motors (maytech), FSESC6.6, probably 110mm shoesā€¦ something to suit the hilly road conditons around Aucklandā€¦ Battery wise Iā€™m still researchingā€¦ 18650s or 21700sā€¦ For about 15km of range and hill climbing potentialā€¦ And what BMS to pair with that setupā€¦ Anywayā€¦ This will be my first foray into the esk8 world

@drangboards can we get a top and side orthographic projections of the board so we can start playing around with fit?

Iā€™m playing around with the idea of using Samsung 21700 50e in a 10s3p setupā€¦ works out to be ~W:150mm x L:170mm x H:40mmā€¦

21700_10s3p

1 Like

any updates on this project? would love to get my hands on one of these decks before spring.

Updates? Im also thinkin 21700 and goin 12 3p like to know where its at.