Discussing esk8 deck: "Doobie" 39" Deck with Kicktail & milled out area for electronics

Increasing the angle won’t make it tip any easier, it will actually be the opposite. It is a balancing act. Your board is the highest I’d do on a deck like this at 18° and this one is the lowest I’d ever make a deck. Depending on what we want to see after we learn from each, we’ll see what the next model should look like based on how well these manual and ride from the tail.

Let’s see some video of you on your board with the 18° tail.

It is my hypothesis that the kick on this board will ride extremely well and “do all the other things”.

2 Likes

@drangboards, it would be nice to have the enclosure mounting holes CNCed along with everything else. The one thing I hate about fitting enclosure is the work it takes to drill evenly spaced holes on the deck and even then it’s not perfect. I’ll be 3D printing the enclosures, so it will be perfect. You could make pilot holes and people could expand it if necessary.

@bigben, would it be possible for you to make the enclosures with holes corresponding to the CNCed holes.

2 Likes

If I make a mold for an enclosure, I’ll put little markers on it, so the final product before cutting or drilling will have little dimples to drill out. Then for the profile cut, a template that was used with a flush trim router bolted into those holes.

Yes I’d like to get holes on the decks too, and maybe even some wire slots for under enclosure wires.

4 Likes

This would be a great way to get it right, Even a trimming line around the perimeter of the plug would help greatly in production if you didn’t want to use a router.

2 Likes

Dude, we could run a little channel for a seal. So many things I want people to add. There are people who are in a hurry to get a deck maybe and for those who want to do some of the stuff on your own, we can do that, and maybe you can save some moolah.

3 Likes

So what you’re saying is that it would be good to make a mold design and cut it here and ship to you or send the file to someone who can cut near you.

1 Like

I’m perfectly fine putting my own inserts and drilling into my deck. But I understand those that don’t want to do it it’s definitely stressful

3 Likes

Theres a lot of people who ask me to do that for them…

3 Likes

And they got to pay for their laziness. Lol

3 Likes

No but for real drilling into your deck and installing inserts cleanly is not for everyone. I was puckered at both ends while drilling into my deck

4 Likes

Don’t confuse need for precision with laziness. I have made my own motors mounts on a non-cnc milling machine but I prefer to buy CNCed mounts these days. If you can drill at perfect intervals(on a curved deck) and perfectly vertical, hats off to you.

Its all about prep and time your willing to spend. Personally I just don’t want to add to production,cost ,labor time, i wanna build.

1 Like

The kick on my board feels perfect, yes steeper angles do require a bit more effort, but the nose also rises higher. That said, you’re the expert and I certainly trust your judgement. I’ll see if I can dig up some of my videos from this past summer, put a lot of miles on the board :star_struck:.

1 Like

The feeling when watching someone ride boards I designed.

4 Likes

Would be cool if you milled a plug and sent it to @psychotiller or @bigben to make molds from. Just an idea

1 Like

Certainly cheaper to drop one down to Dave!

1 Like

European customers!

1 Like

In the same boat here with ya. If there is a board that is made and you have the enclosure for simply having insert installed vs installing them yourself I will do the installing unless it is crazy cheap between the 2 options but if you have an unfinished board then you are going to have to do the installing yourself because if you get epoxy or spar in the inserts will then you have just a bunch of holes catching clear coat. If I can do it myself I’m going to damn well try.

I second this as well. Both guys are proven top notch enclosure builders and it will be less of a head ache to have to learn to make one yourself unless the is already a vac table and @psychotiller already has a super low profile enclosure so it could work for this deck depending on the dimensions

1 Like

The discussion above was to have some kind of indicators(pilot holes in deck and divets/starter holes in enclosure) to help the diyers. I don’t think they were talking about putting inserts.

1 Like

*moved to Mechanics until a board is listed for sale in this thread. Thank you.

6 Likes