Will any hub motor last?

http://www.magnetal.se/ProductsPMB.html I have never built a hub motor. But with the discussion being about bearings thought this web site might help. Remember we all have a love for esk8 life. Can’t we all just get along

1 Like

Neat. I wonder how efficient it Is. It’s relying on eddy currents to keep the shaft centered and also the design is trying to reduce eddy currents it says, as the eddy currents I think would be the only drag.

http://www.magnomatics.com/pages/media/pdd-gear-video.htm Check this video out as well

2 Likes

This last video looks like the best thing in a hubmotor since forever. And simple. The only obstacle in making it into a hub motor would be the same old extreme loading. Unlike the first link u put up, which would replace a bearing, this thing needs a couple bearings between the different rings. they could be super thin though, as the design needs them to be, and the radial an axial load from riding on the road could be transmitted through just the outer bearing That sits on the shaft and housed in the case structure. Maybe. It’s the best thing I’ve seen. And the windings on the outside allows it to cool better (well maybe not in a hub motor so much). So simple in a way yet so foreign. damn making me want to change everything . I bet it pops on the market in a hub motor. It’s not proprietary tech I don’t think. Anyone could build and sell it.

I know. Lots of way to get to the same end

Wear your helmet and chose ur axle wisely. 12mm or 8mm long noodle. Forget the shaft and housing.

Did that and moved on.

I’ve had three differen pairs of hub motors now. Bent axles on Carvon’s, slipped urathane and spun the stator on the press fit axle sleeve on Jacobs and have a problems with the urathane retaining ring loosening on Dexters hubs. All the hubs I’ve tried have developed freeplay(slop) pretty quickly. I’ll admit that I ride hard and fast I’m basically a Samoan Gorilla so these hubs might not have had problems for lighter riders at 20mph. I’d love to see press fit bearings and larger axles on future iterations of hub motors but will take what ever you guys have to offer in the meantime :smile:

6 Likes

Jacob’s motors were a scam and the one person I know with carvon the axle bent and he hasn’t gotten a replacement but these raptor 2 axles take the cake for most deadly design. In testing I’ve broken an axle not nearly that long in two weeks and I’m 150lbs.

How can anyone with any sense see that huge unsupported span with a bit of aluminum at the end as anything else! Redixulois.

1 Like

Why? I ride them and have had no problems until now.

What he sold to me an others was unridable after many confirmations it would be. This is before even the rubber problems. either totally incompetent and never tested anything or deception

You are the leading expert in motor design and engineering? Are you not? The answer should be obvious to you.

The stainless steel axle is not being subjected to shearing loads or rotational forces. The internal shaft of the motor is seated on a fixed 12mm wide square boss that is bearing all of the shearing and rotational loads. The stainless steel axle is primarily exposed to tensile loads.

An 8mm 304 stainless steel axle can bear around 145000 pounds per square inch of force before elongation.

2 Likes

DIY! Cause if you build it you can repair it! And if you skate it, it won’t last forever. That was already an issue with non motorised skates :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That aluminum square your saying is going to take all the load, it’s a slide fit into another aluminum part. From what I can tell you have to tighten re two parts together using the outer nut. That also requires compressing the bearings. You can’t tighten it more than a certain amount. Yea I’m feeling like an expert on hub motors these days seeing what I’ve seen come out and how they’ve lasted compared to what I had made.

Nordle I think a skate truck could last forever. The wheel could too if it had replacement rubber.

It can last very long. But nothing is forever!

1 Like

Ok sure Nordle. Maybe I should say last a lifetime

Looking at this maybe we can disect where the weakest links will be when loaded

The small bearing sits on the steel shaft and It will transfer THE MAJORITY of the load on the wheel to the steel axle it sits on which is maybe a 4 inch span. The support for the axle is not enough with maybe an inch of its end sscrewed and pinned into an aluminum housing. there will be huge leverage there The other bigger bearing will transfer load to the aluminum blue shaft and from there the load is transferred again to the aluminum black square at the end of the hanger. I see doom written all over these aluminum slide fittings from axial loading and the torque of the motor. But first before it has time to deteriorate it’ll just snap. Tell me where I’m wrong and missing the boat

someone please.

1 Like

Hope everyone is considering the added leverage a hub motor places on the system. It’s a whole new realm when compared to traditional non-motor core wheels.

Not an engineer, just someone who knows ride-quality logic and has been riding and selling longboards and skateboards for a very long time. Including threaded axle precision trucks like: Aera, Rogue, Ronin, Surf Rodz etc…

Think about how much compliance is at the outer lip of any wider traction shaped wheel without a motor in it. Even race wheels with supportive cores have a ton of compliance when compared to a hub motor. It’s why wheels cone - the outer lips flex, while the more supported inner lips and center of the wheel flex less.

Wide hub motors with a steel-can core, and just a few millimeters of thane depth at the very outer lip???

Next level leverage in a scary way…

I do agree it looks to thin. I can bend 8mm hardened stainless steel axle by hand and probably permanently if i tried. There is no way onloop is going to change his design so close to release though he has something that should last for majority of people and probably most important for him it will likely make it past warranty period. We will see soon enough. For now hummie I would suggest just do you and design your next hub motor.

Should not have included precision Rogues, as they’re a through axle truck… Which brings me to where I feel the concern should be:

Most hub motors till now have been mounted to through-axle cast trucks, which can handle leverage better than a threaded in axle. How much the axle is supported by the hanger before the treads determines how much the axle wants to rip out the threaded ALUMINUM hanger (insert, or not).

IMO rotational and shear forces are not that concerning. The leveraging forces on the threads in the ALUMINUM hanger, and the face of the ALUMINUM hanger are.

1 Like

Not to forget this added leverage…

1 Like