Will any hub motor last?

Should not have included precision Rogues, as they’re a through axle truck… Which brings me to where I feel the concern should be:

Most hub motors till now have been mounted to through-axle cast trucks, which can handle leverage better than a threaded in axle. How much the axle is supported by the hanger before the treads determines how much the axle wants to rip out the threaded ALUMINUM hanger (insert, or not).

IMO rotational and shear forces are not that concerning. The leveraging forces on the threads in the ALUMINUM hanger, and the face of the ALUMINUM hanger are.

1 Like

Not to forget this added leverage…

1 Like

I think it depends on how you ride. If you don’t carve hard a lot, you’re not going to stress the outer lip of your wheel as much. With Esk8, carving hard is not necessary. If you’re going down a hill or your at high speed and need to turn, you can hit the brakes.

I know you’ve got lenghty conversion here… but the thing that would trouble me would be hitting curbs / gaps with these axles (and hub motors, itself)

Combined with speed and rider’s weight I think the impacts can sometimes be pretty bad…especially if urethane is not that thick or the motor is not mounted in ‘‘direct drive’’.

Of course, this should not be a problem if the places u tend to ride your board on are perfectly smooth and flat :slight_smile:

1 Like

That will be leverage if the bering where place that way… but it is not the case :wink:.

Also unlike other hub, these are design as a complete assembly with a second internal shaft at 12mm as @onloop explain before. Don’t forget these hub aren’t design to fit on any trucks wich make the assemble solid as a rock. Unlike @Hummie who try to fit a motor on a trucks that a no purpose to fiting a motor… and Btw on @hummie experiment the axle wan’t going all the way throught the motor, and the axle was damage by human manipulation :wink:

1 Like

Somewhat true, and in all fairness, I like to surf and snowboard on pavement in a way the wears wheels very quickly.

If you’re just standing there pressing a button on a smooth surface it’s a little different, but not entirely…

Even going straight, any debris experienced by the outer lips of a hub motor will transmit to the hanger in a much harsher way.

I look at it this way. After hundreds of miles on a set of wheels on my esk8, my wheels are barely coning. My drive wheel is wearing down faster than my other wheels, but the wear is fairly even. Nothing like what I would see on my regular boards with much much fewer miles. If your wheels are not coning after a few hundred miles, it’s pretty safe to say that you’re not spending a lot of time riding your outer edges.

I do carve quite a bit when going down hills or just for fun (since you can), but not nearly as much or in the same way, mile per mile, as I do when riding my regular board. For many who never skated much or at all before they started with Esk8, I don’t think having less thane on the outer wheel edge is that much of a problem.

Personally, I prefer more thane on my outer edge because I like the additional grip I get from the deformed wheel. One of the reasons I went with a Carvon hub, but that’s only because of the way I skate. Most of the people I see on their esk8’s don’t carve much.

1 Like

There isn’t another internal shaft for the outer bearing. It was not explained. The pics I see have the bearing on the 8mm shaft. If u have a pic showing it please show it. Even if there were another shaft…what do you think would support it…the same 8mm shaft. Another 12mm shaft on top of the 8…why bother as all the force on the far end of the motor is still going on the 8mm. The idea that you could just slow down before turning is hardly a solution. And if u hit a rock going straight the load on the axle is still there An accurate representation of the loads is as @SolidSurfer shows with ur red circle but the green would be on top of the end of the hanger aluminum. The black square

1 Like

I get that’s where the load ends up.

I was just suggesting how much more potential load / force there is at the hanger face by showing where the outermost wheel bearings are located of a hub motor versus a non hub motor wheel. It’s a lot easier to create loads at the red point than the green from a leverage standpoint, isn’t it?

Like I said, I’m no engineer. : )

Just as you say. We’re on the same page. You’ve got eyes to see this stuff regardless of any college degree

@JohnnyMeduse. rock solid doesn’t come with slide fitting anything. Maybe retaining fluid will keep it feeling solid till it cooks out and then not solid. A shaft is a shaft regardless of any marketing hype and it’s subject to all the normal laws of physics.

2 Likes

I have this chinese hub motor earlier. In overal its nice, but at one point I really hate the downside.

I believe the urethane is just too thin to protect the motor from scratches as well as from impact.

Replacing urethane is almost a no go, especially if you like certain brand like orangatang.

The mounting with the little square is great solution compared to gluing with small bolt to retain them. However since the acle is a bolt indtead of one long solid axle,the probability of bending is significantly higher. My hub motor mount always felt abit tilted which create large vibration due to the wheels not spinning properly.

Not saying that hub is not an option, but Id rather have a standard one solid thicker caliber trucks with 12mm solid single axle. Added with the small square to solve torque issue. Thick urethane would be a solid option with 100mm++ wheel size as its more stable and safe for higher speed which we have on an eboard.

This makes more sense.

The force is transferred.

I suppose you really need to have some basic understanding of engineering principles.

The basic principles of a cantilever should be understood before you embark on your next smear campaign.

This is AWESOME!! I don’t need to watch my drama shows anymore, I can just read a few threads on House Wives of Electric esk8

18 Likes

It looks to me as though the “Staticool System” [blue] slides on and supports the axle. The actual exposed axle appears to be not much longer than your standard truck. Therefore I don’t think the axle is nearly as unsupported as the screenshot above would indicate

I agree @onloop - it’s logical that there’s a cantilever effect transfeing loads, on a non hub motor wheel, through the length of the wheel (all that urethane), and in a worse case scenario, ending up at the Green spot in the above (where the outermost bearing of a non hub motor is).

Not how I see it for a hub motor, though - There’s a much more direct and linear transfer of the load taken from outer lip straight to the Red spot in the above (where the outermost bearing of a hub motor is). Way less mitigating happening, no?

This… 110%

3 Likes

He’s points might be valid, but this entire thread is not simply about his own work, he is making some massive assumptions about things he has never seen… he is trying very hard to push his agenda with misinformation.

This is a TOXIC thread & he is dragging anyone who makes hub motors into this & smearing them with unfounded claims for his own commercial benefits

Maybe you can contribute & use your aerospace degree knowledge & explain to us “amateurs” how “physics” prevent proper bearing installation onto shafts.

@PXSS

As an engineer, you might be able to give @Hummie some free technical advice.

Below is the problem that he is getting so worked up over.

PROBLEM

Determine the correct shaft tolerance for bearing fitment, onto aluminum shaft (or whatever alloy you desire), whilst factoring in thermal expansion of shaft.

OBJECTIVE

Design for maximum durability, shaft & bearing lifespan should exceed consumer expectations in normal skateboarding use case.

I have paid well over $10,000USD dollars to machine/mech engineers for design consultation on this matter, so I am also very interested in your how your findings compare with my own research.

What’s funny is that was essentially my capstone design project during undergrad in mechanical engineering. Except it was redesigning a part for the Army they wanted to last for 1 million miles

Anyway, I am excited to see the progression of hub motors

1 Like

yeah, yeah, usual engineers rhetoric… “i know all the answers but not telling”

sit-back, shut-up & enjoy the ride than…:slight_smile:

2 Likes