[WIKI] A beginner guide to DIY an ESK8

Hi everyone, I’ve been trying to download the vesc project tool, but the website is either down or has been moved. Does anyone know where I can get it? Thanks.

I believe the vesc project site is down @rpasichnyk mentioned it in the All new 2019 VESC-Tool release thread. you can probably grab it from GIT if you cannot wait

1 Like

You can get VESC Tool here https://github.com/rpasichnyk/vesc_tool/releases if you don’t want to compile it yourself

1 Like

All ppm controllers are compatible with the esc. Your remote should come with a receiver. Just note not to buy an ESC controller is all :smiley:

Hi everyone! I didn’t want to spam you guys with a new topic so I decided to reply here! I’m new here (just created an account), and I’ve been lurking the wikis and posts (without an account), and doing research (mostly YouTube and Reddit) for the past several weeks. I’m looking to build an electric longboard for fun, and I’m an entering freshman in college so this could be a cool way to get around campus.

So like I said, I’ve been reading and researching, and I compiled this spreadsheet with the potential parts for my new E-Board from sellers that seem to be liked among the esk8 communities:

I’ve included alternate parts/packages (not checkboxed) that I am considering if the selected ones don’t work. I’ve left out the minor stuff like grip tape or connectors, because I want to focus on the main components. I also plan to make my own enclosure.

I’d greatly appreciate any kind of feedback that you all have on these parts. Are there any compatibility errors I’m missing? Is there a better & cheaper source for the parts I have selected?

Thanks in advance!

@e.board_solutions I know the LFP vs LiPo vs LI discussion has no clear answer, but I think it is time to include LFP cells as a serious alternative for LiPo and LI. They have reached a point where they have the same price, but are just way easier and safer to assemble and use than LiPo and LI. Yet, they are not seriously included in the guide. Maybe time to update? Example: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/cylindrical-lifepo4-as-serious-alternative-to-lipo-18650s/100462

1 Like

It’s a wiki you can make changes yourself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I reading all the comments almost But I realised here’s people are so professional, I am also working as fresh elctrical engineer in Ripple Electrical company located at Auckland, New Zealand.

Hey everyone! I’m new to the DIY eskate scene and I finally recieved my unity not too long ago. I’ve Been trying to set up the motor via the guided setup, but every time I do I get the error “L is 0. Please measure it first.” I’ve looking for an answer for the last two weeks and haven’t found one. Has anyone had a similar issue or know what the problem is or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

cool, thanks!

Edit: Diagram is good! Not sure why you don’t just rewire the packs as a single pack!

Hello everyone, I am planning on starting my first Electric skateboard build. Unfortunately I have little knowledge of how to do this (but I know the basics), and even less funding (i’m a broke teen) so I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me and would like to donate to my cause. Thanks a lot! -Max Goldenson

LINK:

Helo i thought you will like this build vid its of the making of an electric skateboard which is in the style of the back to the future board

1 Like

That’s so sick looking!

I’m kinda new on this E-sk8 stuff. Is there any way to build an e-sk8 with direct wire controls. Is there a way to replace remote control with a potentiometer that’s directly wired to the ESC, or rather just potentio-battery-motor.

Thanks

1 Like

Great guide,Thanks for sharing!

how I can thread here? does it need post some comment??

Hi, I have a question. So I bought 3x 2200mah 3S 25-35C 11.11V Turnigy battery for my 36V setup. I knew these batteris are small but I wanted to start with something cheap. After a few runs I only got around 1-2 miles, when i put them to charge almost every time 2 of them were still around 10.5V which is like 30-40percent I think but then the 3rd one, the middle one was like 7V or even worse 6.5V. Why?

Also Im planning on changing to 2x 5000mah 5S 25C 18.5V Turnigy batteries. Is that a better option? Thank you.

I haven’t been on here for a while… forum seems quite dead where did everybody go?

I have it on my website aswell, I will make an update and drop it on :slight_smile:

3 Likes