Why helmet safety has become my #1 priority

Bell full 9 is a fantastic helmet. As light as a TSG and looks/feels fantastic

I was researching for a FF helmet and ran across this thread. Thanks OP.

Ordered this.

My mishap after testing my DIY. Bad motor. Healing nicely now. The only time I didn’t wear my protective gear. What are the odds? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Shoulder is still messed up but slowly healing. Looking forward to ride again tho.

3 Likes

So glad he is ok. Im one of those people that ride without a helmet sometimes. Last summer I actually got hit by a car, while cycling on a road bike.

I didnt hit my head but it scared the shit out of me.

Lesson learned

Sorry you got injured :frowning:

Wym motor was faulty?

1 Like

Should I get a helmet before I try going 25+mph as I have never went that fast but have only went 15mph as a top speed?

A car might still hit you at much higher speeds. Your board may still go full throttle on you or suddenly brake in an instant. 15 mph is also plenty if you smash your skull against a curb.

Up 2 you though.

1 Like

To be honest, you should already be wearing a helmet.

With that said, I can bail and run off 15 mph, but there’s no way I’m not hitting the ground at 25 mph. Falling at 15 mph is nothing like falling at 25 mph.

I suggest that any time you’re trying anything new on your board, you should fully pad up. This way, you can safely push your limits, fall hard, and get up and try again. Regardless, always keep your helmet on.

2 Likes

Would you suggest to get a full face helmet or and regular skate helmet?

If you intend on going fast, full face is a must IMO. For slow rides an open face will do.

Keep in mind that at high speeds due to the stance we have on an esk8 which is high compared to a downhill longboard, you will slam the ground a lot harder.

20180615_192357

4 Likes

You ride goofy?

I got a shot like that. A little harder to notice it though.

Funny how it’s the visor that gets hit and nowhere else.

I was going maybe 18mph when my escape hit absolute max cut off on acceleration on shitty 3.40 firmware. Got wobbles from the sudden unexpected loss of forward momentum and was balancing on one foot then ate shit.

1 Like

Yes, I ride goofy. It seems that the side of the front foot is the one that takes the brunt of the fall.

Case in point

20190404_093617

This is the right elbow of my motorcycle jacket

2 Likes

Here’s todays excitement…i had the gopro on as well…video to come… Crashed doing high 20s…

Wait till you see my thumb I basically degloved the tip … yep you read that right got it all on camera IMG_20190413_165717_755 IMG_20190413_165724_755IMG_20190413_170402_353 IMG_20190413_165758_773 IMG_20190413_165950_860|265x500 ! IMG_20190413_165813_383IMG_20190413_170000_634

14 Likes

Dude!!!

Hope everything went well in the end. I wish you a quick recovery.

I was thinking about ditching my full finger slide gloves and switching to wrist protectors during the summer.

That ain’t happening now lol.

2 Likes

yeah i wondered if a full glove would had mad a difference…maybe yes maybe no… i feel like the finger snagged on the rough asphalt and thats probably part of the reason it tore… vs major rash or something but who knows

I am 99% sure it would have made a difference

Ouch, that sucks. Glad you’re OK. Time to upgrade to full finger gloves, me thinks.

Thumbs up for nailing that crash landing though. :+1: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m shopping gloves as we speak right now,Sector nine has all the gloves on sale right now for hella cheap…May snag a couple different pairs to test out

2 Likes

How’d you fall? Feel better man!

heres the vid from the crash… i also found some very intersting frames in the go pro as i was scrubbing throught the crash…while the go pro tumbled there were a couple moments where it perfectly faced me and caught the roll in action… amazing yet scary actually!

7 Likes

Glad you caught it on camera, who doesn’t love seeing people crash?

Hope you feel better soon by the way, that’s a nasty finger.