What is up with Abec11?!

@psychotiller - yourself, Brad and some other people who seem to know Chris or more about his current situation have some insider knowledge that the wider community don’t.

I respect his past accomplishments but how I see it now, as a newcomer, the wheels seem prohibitively expensive - disregarding competition. He’s also AWOL and the other manufacturers appear to be regularly communicating and engaging us.

I’ve got zero attachment to ABEC and as soon as a widely available option comes on to the market that’s comparative, even similarly priced, I will bail so hard on them. The reason I haven’t already is because living in the UK there’s limited imported and stocked options.

If Dexter comes to the table with a couple of decent wheel at a decent price for example I’ll likely not own another ABEC wheel.

This is my opinion, ignore at your wish :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

No, Chris was insulted. Then The cheat chimed in for pretty much no reason than to insert copy/pasted stats of wheels.

Why not less Chris speak for himself

1 Like

are there any other wheels the same size as 107’s with the same amount of urethane/same size hub that cost less to make?

Why not answer the questions I’ve asked? You guys have all these specs and prices…what’s comparable?

Not that I’m aware of. Doesn’t mean we can’t complain about them and realize how easy it would be to do our own cheaper.

You’ve done your own. Again, what’s comparable?

I’m saying we could do our own wheel poured by aend and not be stuck w abec prices but get just as good rubber

I think that’s what’s really important here. There’s no fault in using different urethane that’s not ABEC or even Orangatang. As I said before, our goal as a community is to find out what works and what doesn’t work well. If someone asked me for advice on what wheels to get, I’m going to point him/her towards wheels that are going to best work to achieve his/her goals. Brand loyalty, none.

Also, I haven’t really brought up any stats @psychotiller. The only stat I brought up was the 2016 speed record, which was a response to you posting your own stat of ABEC’s speed record. After that, I’ve just been more or less providing the knowledge I have from experiencing using these wheels.

That’s the thing. You can’t. Not the same volume or formula. You can’t cheat the cost of volume and formula or the time and testing it took to make those LUGE wheels.

I have enjoyed my abec wheels I don’t slide them as I cruise and they have some nice feel to them. I do wish that the flywheels where a little less but understand that they can command a premium price when there are not really any other wheels readily available for 90mm+ that are not relatively newer to the skate/estate game and don’t have the reputation as abec does in the skate world. As there is more competition maybe Chris will lower the prices. What is the core size difference or core to thane ratio between the boa 100mm and flywheels 97mm or 107mm?

You have absolutely no short term memory do you?

Last post here, this thread is going nowhere.

This is highly disrespectful, regardless of your stance towards the brand. Chris has a skate history that makes most professionals look like children. I’m not surprised @psychotiller took such offence to this sort of statement.

Show respect where respect is due.

7 Likes

Look Dammit!!! It takes more urethane to pour a 107. More volume of material costs more!!! You cant price a 107 the same as an 80mm wheel. And all of those half ass all terrain 110’s are shit.

3 Likes

You should try Seismic Speed Vents. 85mm urethane poured in Seismic’s DEFCON formula, which is very grippy and sticky. Versus say 90mm ABECs, I think the Sesmic Speed Vents are definitely a nicer and cheaper alternative.

For another comparison, 85mm Speed Vents are grippier and ride nicer than Orangatang’s 85mm Caguamas.

I had 85mm speedvents literally disintegrate on a riverbed run. They blew apart.

1 Like

According the the actual manufacturer you can. That’s the goal. The formula as I said and they said it’s theirs really. When I get the final prices maybe you’ll be interested in joining communal ownership on the molds and we can get bulk pricing. As it’s showing now abec are a rip off.

Nope! Chasing your tail. unless you are willing to carry 30 grand in overhead several times a year

1 Like

Interesting. Do you have pictures of how they “blew apart”? Speedvents are often used for races that regularly go over 60 mph. Seems more like an anomaly rather than the norm.

Nope what? Did u talk to aend about the formula and prices? I just got 6000$ cost for the molds! Today. How do u come up with ur numbers. Maybe Chris. Maybe he’s more business man then otherwise