VESC Monitor Android App

True, true. Just tested 1.94 - as soon as the screen switches off, the data records are 0. What I also mentioned (maybe it helps) is, that there is no new folder generated like before, and the csv-file is put in the apps root directory …

Well i am a bit out of ideas. On my device it works without any issues. Even for hours. The file will be put in a folder which has the new name when the file is finished. So it happens when you close the realtime screen or when you manually disconnect to the device. Then the file should be available. But it only happens once the motor moved at least for one time. So the app doesn’t record all the data when you switch on your board. Only when you moved it will start to record.

I will try to describe what I’m doing. Using Android Version is 6.0 on my LG Spirit 4G. Please tell me, if I can provide you with some additional information. The version of the app I used before worked without this issue - I think it was the first version where you implemented the dark scheme.

I connect the device and start pulling the trigger with the screen on. The realtime screen displays the correct data. After some seconds I turn off the display (still connected). After some additional seconds I disconnect the device. The csv file is access able in all cases (sorry, right now I discovered that the new file went also in the timestamp-directory, but with some delay to be seen on my LG phone). In the cvs file, the values except temperature and voltage drop down to zero at the moment I turned off the screen.

Just send me a csv file via skype. Maybe i find something helpful. have already a idea what can cause it but need a file to find out if that’s the case.

And are you sure you removed the app from the “Battery optimisation” apps in the Android settings?

Thanks for the hint Nico. I send you an PM with the link to the dropbox csv-files.

Edit: finally found the option … “Akku-Optimierung wird ignoriert” is selected for your app, so this should not be the reason.

I got 3 different “HM-10” (some are clones). They all work at 9600Bauds (VESC and Module) then I connected one to PC and changed Bauds to 115200 (AT+BAUD4, Answer: OK+Set:4 ). Then I reconnect with 115200 Bauds to PC to verify and test (AT, Answer: OK). Now I connect to VESC via USB and set UART to 115200 Bauds (yes I did press write config, 9600Bauds module stops working as well) and connect the modified module to VESC (just swap for the other one). But now the app doesn’t work anymore (gets connected but doesn’t display anything) :confused:

Did I miss something? Do I have to change something in the APP?

The app doesn’t care about the Bluetooth module serial connection with the vesc.

Ok, but where is my mistake? I am using the UART port at 115200 Bauds for an arduino remote, but I think it is handy to swap cables (maybe even via switch) and use my phone to tune settings.

Maybe the module doesn’t wok reliable at this speed. Issue with low energy is that a package can be at maximum 20 bytes long. So if the message is longer it is splitted in multiple packages. At this baud rate this split might happen too fast for the module. Maybe for the app as well. But i heard that people used the app already with 115200. Maybe somebody can confirm.

I can confirm that the Module i linked above works with android oreo! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: awesome to have this great app working again! @Ackmaniac this module is shown as “HMSoft”. Is there a way to transfere the stats from my previous rides to the “new” Board?

Hi @Ackmaniac,

I have application freeze since the last build of your app, everything worked perfectly on the build of 08 april with the “oreo gps fix”

can you help me ? you need a log ? have you a mirror of the previous build ? ( edit-> i have found à mirror 1.73 to 1.94 i will test…)

Thank for your help :slight_smile:

edit2 --> @Ackmaniac , No freeze with V1.88, the problem is between v1.88 and V1.94, have you make a fix with 1.95 ?

I released a new Version 1.95 of the app.

I added the feature to define a single cell voltage at which a warn sound should be played the the desired charge voltage is reached.

You can define a voltage between 3.80V and 4.25V. The warn sound will be played 3 times with a delay of 15 seconds.

This way you can be warned if you only have a simple charger and want to charge your battery to like 4.10V to safe battery cycles.

You can activate the warings by clicking on the Volt Box where the actual battery percent and voltage is visible. A popup screen will appear which lets you choose the desired single cell charge voltage.

Each time you want to be warned you have to activate it again. So you will only hear the sound when you want it.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t this eliminate the crucial constant voltage phase of the charging? I doubt it is a good idea to just stop a charging process once you hit a voltage threshold. The pack has not balanced at this point and might have drifting cells. Could get worse and worse each time you charge this way.

You could just do a full charge every 3 or so charges. Realistically tho a quality pack that isn’t starting to crap out will stay relatively balanced through quite a few cycles, at least in my experience.

I think this is for people that are running a BMS-ess battery pack, that balance charge the pack manually. Also, charging to 90 % will more than double the lifetime of a lithium ion battery pack.

Wouldn’t this mean you leave the vesc connected during the charging of the battery? I thought it was adviced to avoid this…?

I always have, most BMS’s even require that the pack be on to charge…

The Vesc doesn’t care if it is on during charging or not.

2 Likes

Hi Nicomaniack,

if you don’t mind I have a feature request for the camera recording. Would be great if I can switch between front and rear camera of my phone while recording a video in your app or just choose from the beginning. In “normal” camera mode of the phone I do this by just wiping over the screen. Seems that this option is not valid in video recording mode of your app? Is it possible to enable this feature or is there a workaround for me?

As always, thanks for your excellent work :star_struck:.

1 Like

My girlfriend bought a Google Pixel 2 so that i am able to test Android 8.0 and above. I have different Bluetooth modules and these in the link below seem to work. Did not buy it from there but they look 100% the same as the ones i have in hand.

Maybe all modules with the black back work. Maybe not.

1 Like