Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

Hi,

I have just read on the Homepage for the single receiver that its ideal if you want to run two receivers at the same time for a dual setup.

Right now im planning my first build so im still in the “learn everything about the eskate technic”. my question is,what are the differnces from a dual setup with 2 receivers to one with a single receiver.since its ther first time i have read about that.

when i make a pre order now will i already get the new version withe the Improved receiver design?

im looking forward to holding one in my hands :smiley:

@lockeboss Yes, if you order now you will get the updated version. For a dual setup, if you have your Vescs connected using CAN bus, then 1 receiver connected to the master Vesc is enough. If you plan to keep both Vescs separated, then one receiver per Vesc would be needed in this case.

Perfect! Thanks for the quick response. Going to order soon :slight_smile:

Couple quick questions I wanted to know and/or confirm before putting my order in right if you could let me know when you have time @Wajdi

• Any discount for buying both the photon and proton at the same time?
  • Lead time for shipment to go out and/or arrive to me (SoCal USA) for each product if ordered by tomorrow?
  • I see you updated the design on the improved receiver, are you still planning to make the photon with the newer more sleek \ smaller casing you posted a 3d print sample of earlier in the thread or is that on the back burner for now?
  • I believe I’ve read the answer to this already but the photon does work with the ackmaniac FW right?
  • If I am running my dual FOCbox set up via PPM instead of CANbus I would need to buy an extra receiver to work properly it looks like, am I understanding that correctly?
  • To use the photon once received, what steps need to be taken at this point besides the typical plugging the receiver in the VESC’s and pairing, is that all right now or are there any extra steps (not super technical in this matter so hoping it’s as easy as using any new remote, or not too much more if there are extra steps)

Thanks so much in advance and keep up the excellent hard work as it all looks amazing and the ESK8 com has been lacking a remote like this. Can’t wait to have it hand and be using it. Been wanting cruise control for ages now!!!

Appreciate your quick response in advance @Wajdi

1 Like

The new Photon remotes will be even more powerful than ever. To answer your questions:

Normally not, but PM me once you are ready, I might add a discount for you :wink:

I was just contacted by the fab today confirming the status update for the new Photon PCBs, I should have them in hand in about 9 business days, and shipped to you in about 2 more days. Regarding the Proton control panel, it will take about 25 days before I have the first batch ready to be shipped out.

Are you referring to the casing of the receiver? I stopped printing the receiver casing due to the extra delay it adds for it to be printed out. I will provide the 3D files so you can print a casing for it. I might add that as an add-on option.

It should be, I didn’t officially test it. If I have the chance, I might confirm that soon.

If your Vescs are not connected through CAN, you will need a receiver for each Vesc.

Does that include the new reciever that you are sending me?

@JasperM Yes.

So I’m not sure where to look for this but I could use a tutorial on how to set this remote up. I have only every used Nano remotes so this is all new to me. Thanks!

Go to @Wajdi website and sign in to the forum there. There is a mega thread there that goes through stuff from memory.

1 Like

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.

does the speed show in kmph or mph? both?

You can choose in the remote menu screen. @Nedtrampz

1 Like

Just received the new batch of the Photon remotes, they look so fresh! IMG_1188 IMG_1190 IMG_1189

Receiver now has a push button for binding, and a micro usb port to easily update its firmware. I still need to solder the push buttons on the remote, joystick and screen, but its almost ready.

5 Likes

Half way through, adding displays and testing tomorrow.

IMG_1192 IMG_1195

1 Like

Can you send me the shipping number when you send the receiver to me, do you need my address again or have you still got it?

Just send me a pm with your previous order number and I will find it.

1 Like

PM sent

10 char

Anyone want to say something about the reliability of the connection?

I must admit I haven’t used mine much when I had it working but I never had any problems with the connection once paired.

I believe mine is in this batch? Or is it already on its way, am I right? @Wajdi