Uneven Dual Rear Drive

Oh no, I really wanted video evidence of you getting dusted! Next weekend please!

ok I know I promised this a while ago but I finally found myself in a situation where my mate and I were out skating on both the UDR and the DD twin and had a camera on us. we organised a drag race and filmed it. I will do my absolute best to get the footage onto youtube tonight!

1 Like

Haha, awesome! And yes we did not forget and weā€™re holding you to it lol

1 Like

yea I wanna see this too! :sunglasses:

apologies for bad audio

I even tried a sneaky head start on the 2nd runā€¦

4 Likes

Very nice ā€¦ def food for thought

Just as another closing thought. The DD in not by any means slow. And my mate on the UDR is bigger than me and never reached top speed. He says there is more in it but doesnt have the balls to take it thereā€¦ not in those exact wordsā€¦

This is pretty awesome. Thanks for getting a video up. Do you think similar results would be achieved with uneven gearing? I wonder what would be more efficient. Changing the motor KV or gearing.

I havenā€™t tried different gearing but I assume it would work simmilarly.

Can someone explain how these two completely different motors can be used in the same board?

what part did you want explained @wmj259?

there is a 280kv motor and a 430kv motor. the 280 helps get the 430 off the line with more torque and the 430 boosts up the top end with higher RPM. each motor runs a separate ESC and there is no communications between either ESC. its pretty much all explained towards the start of this thread. which I again point out is more than a year old and this board is ridden daily.

Have you been able to find the amp draw from either motor in time probably using vesc and telemetry? Iā€™ve seen others doing different kv on one board and getting different temps, higher kv being hotter. I wonder if they take amps equally at different speeds

they would almost certainly be different amps at different speeds and different temperatures too. however I have not done any specific tests other than skating.

Thinking about doing offset kv and offset gearing

Like 170kv on 14t and 200kv on 18t

Or is the spread between not enough?

Why not connecting them via CAN. The master needs to be the one with the higher kv rating. Then switch off the breaking when max erpm is reached. And of course switch off the traction control for that. You only need to set the same max motor amps. You even could use my watt mode in my modded firmware for that. When max erpm for the slower motor is reached then the vesc simply shuts this one off. But I think a even setup with proper motors like 6355 work better.

I am planning on building a board for cruising long distance and am planning on using a 400kv motor as the drive. I am about 140lbs and donā€™t need the acceleration torque, just looking for a decent top speed and long range. I plan on using 2 5ah 3s 50c batteries with a 150amp esc, gearing ratio is 17/44 This is my first build, any pointers are welcome and appreciated

I just read this same thing about your plan. Iā€™ll see if I can find it for u

But I digress, this is a discussion about using two motors of different size and kw to have great startup torque and good top end speed.

This thread I think is for you to read. *too high KV motor

Thank you for looking at it, I do intend on going dual motor eventually, and was intuiged by the mismatched kv value, mybe could use in leu of a transmission to achieve a greater band of acceleration

That doesnā€™t sound like a recipe for long range, but then I guess it depends on what you consider long range. And I would agree with @Magixpencer that 400kv is too high