Uneven Dual Rear Drive

Im going to point out the original post date. The board in question has been rocking along for 12 months now with no failures.

There is a lot of talk about what people who havent done this think may happen.

I only comment on what I have actually done and real world results.

I should also point out again that I dont claim this is a best thing to do. Its a fun experiment.

2 Likes

It’s stated that two esc’s are used, one for each motor. So technically they’re running at different voltages. My question is what if we had a single motor, and then could gear for low speed like zero to 15mph, maxing out our motor to the highest voltage, then switch to a gear that allows for top speed, like 15mph to 30mph? Wouldn’t that make it quicker?

If it works … it works, great!

Don’t get me wrong, I really appreciate your work and your thinking outside of the box. And then getting it done!

Just tried to figure out in my head what is going on. Brain experiment before real life experiment.

And one thought in my brain is: When your 200Kv motor with 70mm wheels and 2,5:1 gearing goes 37km/h it produces a voltage of around 37V and the ESC needs to be able to cope with that. Not many amps because there is not much load, but 37V. Obviously your ESC is able to cope with it. It works, great!

the UDR concept has come up again about 3 times this week so I thought I would update this thread. the other day my friend and I were skating (he was on the UDR) and we had a bit of a drag race.

the UDR board KILLED it! like I was embarrassingly out accelerated. I peaked at 36km/h and he just cruised away effortlessly.

I will try to get a video of it.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing me back to this thread. Trying an uneven drive combo of 190kv enertion 6374 rear and 245kv Tacon Bigfoot front but on 12s. Think the uneven helps with the 245kv on 12s or still Erpm max issues with vesc?

245kv on 12S? I think you’ll hit the ERPM.

definitely will hit the erpm limit and burn out your vesc

Sigh, really want to use these 2 Tacon Bigfoot on dual build but even 10s puts me slightly over 60k I believe but maybe in range of reasonableness?

At 10s you’re 12k over, you’ll want to stick to 8s tops for the tacons

Torqueboards or Maytech ESC? they should be able to handle the higher ERPM right?

That is a good point! TB esc should be able to handle this at 10s, maybe 12s? Was thinking too vest-centric. Anyone used TB esc for 245kv on 12s? @torqueboards ?

I never have, but I believe the ERPM is quite a bit higher than the VESC correct? It would be nice if @torqueboards chimed in.

No max ERPM for 12S TB ESC. It would work perfectly fine. VESC 6.0 shouldn’t have a problem with this once it’s available.

I think the owner of Miami electric boards runs that high of erpm on his ESC, you could try that!

@oriol360

1 Like

I think we’re all looking forward to 6.0

Good point, I actually got the 12s batteries from @oriol360 and was super satisfied there. Did not think to check his esc for 245kv on 12s. Maybe that or TB for sure, awesome!

1 Like

well I went out today with every intention of filming the difference between a Dual diagonal 280kv twin and the 280/430kv uneven dual Rear drive. unfortunately my friend left the nunchuck behind so we had 2 boards and 1 chuck.

so what did we do?

I grabbed a big stick and gave my mate the only chuck and used the stick to tow me along behind the UDR.

so I guess we tried a different type of experiment. the UDR can successfully haul ~170kg of human flesh up mild inclines.

I wonder if the rc esc make this setup better or worse compared to vesc.

Can we start the formula esk8 racing already to see how much of a difference asymmetrical drives can make!

I know dual TB 12s esc’s work fine on 12s with TB 230kv motors up to 31mph. I rode two pretty spirited 13 mile and 15.5 mile tours on that setup the last two weekends, and it worked perfectly. When I finally finish my mountain board, I’m gonna run this same setup or go with a 245kv SK3 & 245kv Tacon pairing. I guess I’ll find out if they both are really 245kv.

1 Like

Nice, interested to hear how that build rides! Yes, check vesc KV readout on those two motors and see how far apart they really are!