Ultimate VESC Controller with OLED

I’d also like to add a button to change to beginner mode. This might tell the Arduino to divide the analog joystick reading by two to limit to half throttle (not sure that’s possible), or changing vesc settings. Although RollingGecko’s code is all reading data and no writing, so the first option will be better if I can figure it out. Also just joined a thing at my school with lots of access to arduinos, joysticks, NRFs etc, so I can improve my coding skills and try and figure out this beginner mode for you guys.

1 Like

Lol don’t get yourself banned James. This forum’s for electronic stuff, not gasoline cars.

How much would it be for beta testing?

1 Like

I will get the final prices for all the products combined soon. I can’t promise anything until I have 5 working prototypes. But it will probably be $30-$40

2 Likes

NRFs arrived! But I don’t have any male to female jumpers so will have to wait a week for those. Grrrrrrr

Sign me up!

2 Likes

Where do you guys want buttons to be? On the front near the oled? If you put your index finger through the hole, then your thumb will be on the thumb wheel, the rest of your fingers could control buttons on the bottom left. The two buttons will switch from forward and reverse, and cruise control. You will also be able to move the thumb wheel left and right to change the display on screen (something I found out from @Print3r ), I always saw the multiple screens and didn’t figure out until today that they were switched with the joystick. @Print3r could you please link the spot you saw that?

Here is the link:

Where is the oled going (can you send some picture of where you are thinking of putting it)? Though I have a tendency to make controllers larger than some would like, I do not think that screen controls should be placed out of reach of where your hand will normally be whilst riding - you should focus on your speed and surroundings not changing the display whilst riding. Buttons like arm/ disarm should be placed under the fingers I think so that when you grip the controller, they are activated. Else, the reverse button and arm button should be placed like on the nunchuck controller.

Planning to have it a bit like this. My 3D printer is so close to being fixed, bloody thermistor or heating element isn’t working yet. Aargh.

2 Likes

Did you manage to read the data off the VESC from the board that connects to it through software serial? if so please share the code thanks in advance.

Count me in for testing! Also this is my sort of project, have the skillz to move it forward if there is any snags. Also have a working prusa mendel for prints and CAD skill so i might do my own enclosure, i have the nano X right now but im not super fond of the shape. Its alright but i had the nunchuck before, just so much better and ergonomical. I would go for that general shape, maybe bigger.

1 Like

It’s reading data through an Arduino nano and a nrf module on the VESC and transmitter side

this is not completely related since I won’t be using rg’s code, yet. but it should be fully compatible with an i2c oled.

these are 2 versions of the same pcb, about to order a few to test. nano’s are small but wires are not. these are using the atmega328p pu. all through hole parts so easy to solder. and very diy looking. and very compact. the first is pro mini size. the second is only 13mm x 60mm. but the nrf hangs off + 25mm

2 Likes

Nice, I’m already working on a pcb though that connects nano, oled and nrf. That will be for future versions though.

Yeah but is it using the hardware serial pins or some other pins?

It’s using the UART pins on the VESC

UPDATE: extended range (1100m) NRF modules came in, as well as the joysticks. I know you’re not going to be more than 2-3m away from your board but this should provide a very strong signal. I’ll order the jumpers locally soon to get the breadboard prototype fully working! The joysticks were bigger than I thought so I’m still considering a different case design (maybe nunchuck or steeze style, or just make current one bigger.

1 Like

That’s real good you want to know your signal is reliable :slight_smile:

1 Like

Joystick working! Ordered jumpers that will be here in a week or two then I’ll be using a breadboard remote for testing haha

9 Likes

So good, keep it up

2 Likes