Ultimate VESC Controller with OLED

The Dream :stuck_out_tongue: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Don’t like wires

2 Likes

A little update on the LED button situation: I have researched deeper into adding a button to the remote which allows LEDs to be triggered on the board. http://www.elec-cafe.com/nrf24l01-basic-control-led-arduino/

We could probably include one of these in the code somewhere, and have the LED and analog joystick data sent over the same NRF. It may mean modifying the code a little bit to work alongside the remote.

2 Likes

I think having this ability would be cool but not essential - it is not like you are going to be in such a rush that as soon as it gets dark you don’t have the time to stop, flick a switch on the board to activate the LED circuits (brakes, headlights and general under-board glow). I am wondering if the extra data (going in both directions) will make there be more errors? Don’t know. I am sure everyone would find an extra channel useful at some point!

Back to what I was saying earlier, I will detail my idea for the code more clearly:

• button1 = reverse button (located somewhere where you won’t hit it accidentally
  • button2 = arm button (when pressed you can move around, when not pressed the board doesn’t move)
  • joystick = accelerate if pushed in direction of where you want to move and brake to standstill if pushed in opposite direction to where you want to move (if you are facing the board and want it to reverse, you press reverse button, pull the stick towards you and then push the stick forward when the board is right by you)

Features I may add next year when I have more time:

• GPS + app --> using google API on phone, get a list of instructions for where to go, extract the data needed (turn left/right/ which exit/ straight on + location to move onto next instruction), send that data over bluetooth and store it on EEPROM/ sd card on controller, have a bitmap for each of the turn signals and a cheap GPS (running at really low speeds eg 1Hz - conserves energy and means you don’t have to get a very expensive, powerful gps chip) that measures the location so that the controller knows when to move onto the next direction. This may require more arduinos - I know that there are not infinite UART inputs, so may store the directions on one arduino that runs the GPS and bluetooth, have it send a high on a digital output to another arduino - to indicate that the next instruction should be shown. Will need feedback on how this could be done best!

• LEDs on the controller so that it also functions as a torch if skateboarding at night - this can be hardwired so won’t need to use up more I/O pins.

1 Like

RollingGecko already has code implemented for a reverse button. An arm button would be very simple. I’m liking the form of a nunchuck more and more. Would be so much easier with the reverse button, arm switch, and joystick. Maybe the arm button could go where the boosted arm button is. Could even be a momentary power button (the one that is only on if held). I don’t get the point of the LEDs either, but I guess generally another button to trigger something would be nice. Maybe a horn, turning signals etc

I agree with the location of the button (like the boosted board ‘engage’ button) and think that it has to be momentary - the board must stop quickly if the controller flies out of your hand if you fall. There should also definitely be a check that if the button is not held for less than 0.5s, the Tx and Rx both understand that is an error in communication. If the button is not held for more than 0.5s the board should slow down. I really like the deign of the nunchuck but would like to have a display on the front of the controller, that can be glanced at while riding and would like the antenna to be on the other side of my hand (especially considering that people got some no-signal issues with the first nunchucks a year ago). I have also found that the cheapest boards with antennas and amplifiers (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NRF24L01-PA-LNA-SMA-Antenna-Wireless-Transceiver-communication-module-2-4G-1100m-/201701854993) are not that much more expensive than the one with the onboard antenna. Using a truck-horn installed under an esk8 in a traffic jam would be funny!

1 Like

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel. There will be another update later this week on the case design and trigger mechanism. I’d also like to know how many people are interested in buying one of these (I won’t be selling them yet (maybe never) just would like to have an idea of interest). This data could also help other people who might want to sell them if they decide to make one.

Once I have the prototype working, I will be testing it with local ESK8ers to see what they think

3 Likes

I could be keen to buy one/ help test prototype

1 Like

Forgot to make poll public so please vote again

• Interested in this remote
  • Not interested in this remote

0 voters

I will be making a transmitter as well probably based on the software you are using, but different design. If they work, they are certainly very cheap to produce (depending on the manufacturing process for the shell) so selling a reliable one will be no problem … I think. If the software is made really good it could also be easily put in a new shell and have the NRF24L01+ modules taken out (replaced with wires) and sold for the Ebike community as well. I think first thing to focus on is software and design though! Kickstarter has shown that anything with marketing can be sold and this forum has shown that any good, open-source Eboard product will be bought to support the community.

Updates on enclosure design. Changed it to a circle for the finger hole, looks much cleaner IMO. Added thumb wheel.

I’ve also ordered parts for five remotes which I am undecided what to do with yet. Once I finish them I MAY get some beta testers. Ordered the joystick and some new NRFs with external antenna

4 Likes

Do the antennas have a power amplifier circuit?

Not sure. Here is the link to the one I bought: http://s.aliexpress.com/j6FBJZRz

The remote looks beautiful! You should add a fillet on the circle your finger goes through on the remote if not you will notice some pain in your finger :wink:

Great idea! I will add a curve on there. Will be doing some videos later this week on the remote. Looking forward to all the parts coming so I can make the prototype

3 Likes

Well done, keep up the good work. Looks really good!

Looks like it does - you shouldn’t have signal cut-outs then! Where is the antenna going to come out? or is it all in the case?

I’ll figure that out once I get it. Need to have all the components so I can start test fitting. Maybe along the side of the case or under the finger hole bit

1 Like

I have made a replica of a 2.4ghz wifi antenna on fusion 360: http://a360.co/2pxvXCb - anyone can use it if they need it.

Thanks! I might work on test fitting some components in there. I feel like the joystick might be a bit bigger than I thought so I might have to make the case a bit larger

1 Like