Trillium Hub Motor

Not my original intended way of revealing this motor to this forum, but hey, development sucks sometimes and I couldn’t wait any longer. I had hoped to have them in boxes by now but life got in the way. This project has a lot of other goals and is taking quite longer than I’d like. I was hoping to get some discussion going here so that I could answer some questions but also get feedback so I can eliminate some of the features I was going to implement.

1)Full 2WD integration onto Ronin trucks (no shafts to worry about) Option of 4WD for you insane folk. Full Integration basically means you can’t remove the motors from the trucks and the phase wires would be hidden inside 2)10mm thick 130Wh batteries (sold separately with own extrusion) with custom 1S 250A controllers 3) 10-12S version that works on any truck (within reason). This was actually the original intent, but 1S requires full integration due to the amount of copper I have to run out of the motor. 10-12S wouldn’t be as efficient but might not really matter based on the stuff I see you guys run, you likely wouldn’t even care 4) Non-split wheel (if new version runs cool)

I’m more curious what your reactions are before I spill many beans. The split wheel I have mixed feelings about. Seems to ride decently but my only prototype I sent off to another country for wind tunnel testing and I haven’t gotten it back yet to be able to do a direct comparison to some other motors.

5 Likes

At $500 per pair… i’m out.

1 Like

I’m kind of confused, what exactly is this? By 1S do you mean running only on 3.7V nominal? Is the battery pack 30Ah? That seems like a really bad idea, even with a 250A esc. There’s a reason we use higher voltage batteries.

1 Like

Me too - is this a standard Hub motor? What does 1S mean? At 500$ - what’s the USP?

Lets try keep generic definitions out of model names xD

1 Like

Define “standard”

1S means you could run a single thin pouch cell with each motor pair. It also simplifies the wiring and eliminates need for bms and complicated charging.

$500/pair - You get a good form factor, lightweight, and high performance for the size. Can also run multiple colors of urethane per wheel to make more customization.

1 Like

How about the thane thickness? Sick of all hub motors with thin sleeves. Now that you will enjoy some form of cooling with that air flow over the motor why not installing thick PU ?

2 Likes

You actually want to run this at 3.7V? Can’t imagine this being a good idea but for science I’d say try it. Also you’d still need wiring as a single cell probably won’t cut it and you’d need several put in parallel. I also doubt that a Hub motor is a good idea in the current market with a clear trend towards direct drive motors that can use standard wheels with lots of urethane or even AT wheels.

1 Like

Nah, a single cell can be more than enough, that’s the benefit of prismatic lithium cells. You can make them have as much capacity and current draw capability as you want.

However, running at such high current and low voltage is going to make that each heat up like there’s no tomorrow.

2 Likes

What kv are those motors 800? :smiley:

1 Like

Do you have a link for such a cell? I’d like to check them out. The largest sensible Lipo pouch I found was 10000mAh with a 5C discharge rating (which was stated to be only valid for less than 30s).

I’ve seen a Phd project running 15kW motor on 8V and around 2kA. It was highly experimental and meant for big ass motors that could dissipate the heat properly… The phase leads were beyond fat however, There are no practical application here on the esk8 scene more then for sience I’m afraid. I’d try aim for 10S and improvise a good kv ratio from that.

14.1mm thane thickness

1 Like

Right around 700kv I’ve simmed. I haven’t actually built the 1S motor yet.

It’s a cell that actually isn’t on the market yet. It’s not readily available on gray market. There are a lots of good substitutes though. This is an example of prismatic… I can’t find the one I like at the moment. I never reallly was attracted to prismatics. I’m more interested in single pouch that is very thin.

1 Like

1S is tricky to do on a skateboard but I think it can be packaged nicely and the weight can be kept down.

1 Like

A123 makes cells like that.http://www.a123systems.com/automotive/products/cells/

There’s probably a few niche websites you could buy large NMC cells like this, maybe even a reseller for the 26Ah A123 cell.

At least double that…triple if you could. ALL hubs in the Universe lack that… thick PU :roll_eyes:

Dont see how the weight is affected other then a smaller BMS and maybe less wires. The energy density doesn’t change cause its lower voltage.

Energy density most certainly changes. A smaller surface area of cells decreases volume and weight, relative to the overall volume of functional anodes and cathodes internally.

Weight could be negligable, but size actually changes. Prismatic cells have crimped edges that are usually 3-4mm ish thick. The more cells butted next to each other the more space is wasted.