Trillium Hub Motor

That’s correct. The overall weight should be about the same as what you guys are used to. Weight doesn’t seem that important to you guys anyways. I see these monster builds. BMS becomes just a temperature sensor that most controllers can handle by themselves. The motors themselves are more power dense than what I’ve seen… but we’re talking grams, not lbs off the wheels.

Would I best be putting my time into a 8" OD hub motor that would work well on scooter as well?

The energy density can actually improve because there is less interconnections and smaller enclosure necessary for a single pouch… but that’s really talking grams, and not the selling point. Selling point is mainly simplicity and no bms. But I think for the size, the motor should be able to pull full torque to 20mph which is uncommon for motors this small.

Sounds like so far people really want big ass motors, not boosted-esque, sleek, “at home” to the longboard scene type motors.

1 Like

agreed… sounded cool until the

same old thin thane :frowning:

2 Likes

Meant the energy density of the battery obviously. Not the airgaps in the enclosure. I see your point tho.

Yeah, why? …well I know why. Is all heat exchange. Motor temperature rises, but if is covered by thick Uro layer, heat will not disipate properly. Thats why Sleeves are so thin. But is time for a changes. We want hub motors covered by thick PU.

1 Like

We also want 12mm axle, quality bearings, quality glued magnets, thick hanger to dissipate the heat, thick urethane

5 Likes

Whats the benefit here? If you don’t mind me asking? I mean boosted territory? If you want to market hub motors to the diy community then it better be a bit better than that regardless of the science involved. It could be the smartest idea anyones ever had but if it performs like a cheap chinese hub motor then really whats the point? I don’t get it sorry.

Thats because we already have that in chinese abundance. Think you might be in the wrong place.

2 Likes

you right tho :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Ah! This is your 1s idea. Interesting. A lot of challenges ahead, but exciting nonetheless!

Whoever would like to send me motors to dyno, I’ll get more benchmarks on the power you are actually putting to the ground with your setups. Just because you’re running 2000W limits doesn’t mean you’re getting it to the ground.

If you guys want, I will design a motor exactly to your preference, but I can’t guaranntee it will cost less than $500 per pair.

How about 107mm? I could do that. That’s a wheel size that would match well to abec11s.

How many people would put down $2k for a 4WD setup these days? What is the going rate?

What is it about the thick thane that you want? Better ride quality? Do you want large diameter or thick thane? What is too wide of a wheel in your opinion?

it so happens i simulated a one cell hub motor with the same performance characteristics as a pair of @hummie 73kv hubs w/100a motor current limit the other day…

what ESC do you plan to use that allows 1250a motor current?

what connectors and wire gauge will you use when pulling 1400a from your 3.7v battery?

1 Like

I don’t know where you get your numbers for your model. Maybe I could have a closer look at your stuff.

it’ll be a 200-300A motor current limit, with a custom controller my buddy and I are working on.

@Hummie can I dyno a pair of your hubs? Need to borrow VESCs and battery to do it.

yes please do. Give me a week to finish things n then

sure, let’s suppose we use 1250a motor current limit with a 900kv motor…

60 / (2 * pi * 900 kv) = 0.01061 newton meter per motor amp = KT 0.01061 nm/a * 1250a = 13.26 nm torque (13.26 nm torque * 1000mm) ÷ ((1 / 2)× 84 mm tire diameter) = 315.71 newtons thrust per motor 315.71 newtons * 0.2248 lbs force per newton = 70.97lbs thrust per motor at 1250a motor current

^70.97lbs thrust per motor requires 1250a motor current

now let’s compare to 73kv @hummie hub w/ 100a motor current…

60 / (2 * pi * 73 kv) = 0.13081 newton meter per motor amp = KT 0.13081 nm/a * 100a = 13.081 nm torque (13.081 nm torque * 1000mm) ÷ ((1 / 2)× 84 mm tire diameter) = 311.45 newtons thrust per motor 311.45 newtons * 0.2248 lbs force per newton = 70.01lbs thrust per motor at 100a motor current

^70.01lbs thrust per motor requires 100a motor current

conclusion… same thrust as 73kv 100a motor current @hummie hub w/ 900kv hub requires 1250a motor current

7 Likes

Or quick and dirty, 1/12th the voltage needs 12x the current to yield equal power. People here like to run dual 60a motors, so that puts you at 1440A approximate target current.

Just a question that’s got nothing to do with this particular topic, but does stator size affect torque in any way? Apart from staying cooler at higher amps

There’s no “apart from” staying cooler at higher amps. It’s ALL ABOUT staying cooler at higher amps. Staying cool means more current. More current means more electrical power. More electrical power means more mechanical power (i.e. torque and speed).

Torque = current / Kv, so cooler motors = more current = more torque

1 Like

Current isn’t what you’re after… amp-turns is what you’re after. Current by itself is not really worth comparing things by. 1000A through 1 turn is the same as 100A through 10 turns.

cooler motors = more copper volume. More torque is the result of making use of your amp-turns effectively and having a balance of high amp turns and high steel content

Keeping your motor operating at a low current with more copper is how you keep a motor cool.