Thermoforming a Kydex Battery Enclosure

Was thinking more like this enclosure.

2 Likes

Might need to use a thinner material for a deck with flex. That looks like 4 enclosures close together, but not sure how the cabling is routed between them. I usually start with the batteries and deck then go from there to shape and place the enclosure. Anything is possible.

Yeah I was considering that. The Kaly.nyc enclosure is a one piece. However I’m looking to make this out of 4 pieces of kydex. Cabling/balance wires will be joint by flexible hosing that connects between all 4 pieces.

yeah ive watched a few of his vis… totally spaced on his new website…

1 Like

I just ordered one this morning… the Kydex enclosure… I will share it once it arrives. Price seems right. I think it may serve me better than the TB one i bought during Black Friday – it feels brittle like it will crack. Have never tried Kydex so here goes!

Has it arrived yet? interested in the results.

I don’t know if this has been answered previously or not: does Kydex release toxic gases when heating up in an oven ?

Not sure on a chemical level, but most likely. I would do it in a ventilated environment if possibles. It doesn’t smell great when heating.

1 Like

Just started forming my enclosure. .093 kydex is thick. Minus the ripples I’ll remove with the heat gun I think it’s going to work well. The 12x24 piece I have for the battery box doesn’t fit in the oven unless you bend it in. So that’s going to be interesting when it gets soft…

1 Like

Interesting. I bought 8 12"x12" sheets of the same thickness (i believe), but planned on using a piece of wood as the buck (correct term?) What type of foam is that? Is it dense and bouncy or more like Styrofoam?

Super dense and bouncy

I used Wood and cardboard covered in duct tape for the buck

This is awesome! I did a similar process for my Rouge Rogue, but it was basically vacuum-forming polypropylene over a plaster cast from a Pepakura paper model. Polypropylene is really hard to paint though. :grin: Check out my video on my write-up to see the whole (over-complicated) process.

9 Likes

That looks amazing really well done :+1:

1 Like

I have four kids and no time so be prepared for an unepic utilitarian kydex box😁

But your box looks way better than mine

3 Likes

Thanks for the compliments. Like I said it’s actually polypropylene and took way too long, but I like how it turned out.

I’ve picked up two sheets of this wonder stuff, if anyone’s not sure how strong it is if you’ve ever tried to fall asleep on a plane and put your head against the window pillar and woken up with a sore red face…that’s ‘kydex face’

Offgassing occurs @400f according to knife sheath makers

1 Like

After reading this thread I decided to use kydex vacuum box to do a diy boosted board. I used a grill to heat the kydex to about 380f. The problem is it’s had to regulate the temp and heat the kydex evenly.

10 Likes

That look really good… The oven is nice cuz you can put it on the top shelf on like another piece of cardboard …but bigger pieces may not fit… Then it softens nice and even…on a grill the heat source is too close… But I moght recommend using a.catering sterno in a bbq…of to the side and you cpuld get good oven heat in a tight space