Thermoforming a Kydex Battery Enclosure

I use a drill bit for my holes in abs plastic and kydex. never had an issue

Drill and/or dremel is my tool of choice.

1 Like

Can I use a hair dryer to hear kydex up? I am planning to hear up a 2mm kydex, but I donā€™t have any great gum and I try not to buy one coz I will only use it once.

1 Like

I was under the impression you need to heat it in the oven

Iā€™ve done a couple, never really happy with the result. But I used a form, heat gun, gloves and some conduit to get the edges right.

The problem is you have to find the point where itā€™s soft enough to shape but not apply too much heat or itā€™s gets flat and deformed looking.

Vacuum forming with ABS gives a much better result. The problem there is if you want a 20in single piece enclosure you need a 24in table. To get a 2 piece 20in enclosure you need at a minimum a 12in table but really 14in is better.

Been thinking about paying someone to make some.pretty elaborate forms Iā€™ve drawn so I can make my own enclosures. Prolly cost @psychotiller all of his beer money if I did though :grinning:.

2 Likes

Why I oughtaaaa!

2 Likes

no. thats was my first attempt at being cheap lolā€¦ then bought the cheapest heat gun at home depot for like $20 and works waaaaay betterā€¦ Im actually wrapping up my first video at my kydex case attemptā€¦ it went well but im re-doing itā€¦ give me a few hrs and ill finish up my vidā€¦

https://youtu.be/dXPgZYG6Ab0

1 Like

Iā€™m really tempted to try. But guess what, itā€™s not easy to find in Canada and not cheap eitherā€¦ :frowning:

Kydex is stronger than plastic sheet and vaccum forming, right ?

What about this guy?

https://www.mboards.co/collections/diy-electric-skateboard-parts/products/battery-esc-enclosure

2 Likes

yeah that looks nice for a standard build, even a 4p battery if theyre only stacked 2 batteries highā€¦ im going for 6-8p setup for max range so this isnt big enough lol

I made this mold from cardboard boxes and tape, kinda like yours in the video. It helped forming the shape I wanted but I still had problems with the wrinkles. Tried my best to smooth it out with heat gun. I have 1 sheet of kydex left and Iā€™m saving that for a good day lol. First attempt looks okay except for the wrinkles. You need something to hold down the kydex on your mold as it cools down.

1 Like

Whoā€™s company is this? Where do they run their business from?

I think they are US basedā€¦ have never ordered anything from them. I found them purely by googling for at least 2" tall enclosures for my new big ass lipos.

Their FAQ section says they are out of Las Vegas

Been waiting for someone else to vacuum form Kydex enclosures similar to Kaly.NYCā€™s mountainboard enclosures. Any dice?

He has a YouTube channel where he shows some of the things he has built

1 Like

I can build enclosures for you all if you would like. They are not going to be $25 though since they will be custom sizes and I will need to make bucks for them. Let me know if anyone is interested.

2 Likes

Not in the market for them personally right now, however what Iā€™m curious to what shapes are possible?

Pretty much anything that is convex. There are some considerations that need to be taken into account so there is not a lot of extra material. You can see in some of the posts on here how people have wrinkles around the edge and that is mainly due to the enclosure shape. If you look at the shape of my enclosures I tried to not have a lot of very tall and sides with 90* angles. If you can add tapers and other geometry it forms better and also looks pleasing to the eye.

1 Like

Looks like I never posted this video. This is start to finish and some of the things I took into consideration.

2 Likes