Thermoforming a Kydex Battery Enclosure

My kitchen is too far away. And I don’t want to mess up the oven just In case I burn the kydex. I use some aluminum foil to line and create a pan around the kydex to try to heat the kydex enenly. Took me 4 trys to get it right. After installing the enclosures I use a heat gun to mold the enclosure to the skateboaed. That creates a perfect fit.

2 Likes

I used the oven… Even the 24" piece I mashed in there got soft and worked. The kydex I used was .093". Way to thick for this stuff. Doubt it will break though.

4 Likes

I attempted to make a enclosure without a vacuum box before and it was too hard to mold the hot kydex. Building the vacuum box is really simple.

I should have done so. I spent plenty of time with the heat gun adjusting it.

The time spent working the kydex freehand is almost the same as building the box. Once the box is build it could be use for future projects. The material cost of the box is like less then $10.

Did you get inspiration from a particular source for the vacuum box ? The result is really good !

Reading stealth71 and watching his video got me thinking about kydex. But after many failed attempts to freehand mold the kydex I decided to look in to vacuum forming. I watched many kydex gun host forming videos and decided to build my own. So no one inspiration but a collection of ppl here inspired me.

1 Like

What kind of seal should I use? I feel like Kydex will by easier than 3D printing a bunch of enclosures, but i need to know how to make them at least somewhat water proof.

Use any kind of door/window seal you can get at the home improvement store.

What about for cabling running between several Kydex enclosures, I can leave holes for the cabling but what is some good shielding to use?

I recently found Sugru from another user. Its on Amazon. I think there are a few others that recommended silicone sealant caulk as well.

Ah sorry I misunderstood. Some rubber grommets are also pretty.

1 Like

Can someone please tell me where I can get a custom enclosure because pretty much no one makes an enclosure for a short board I need one that is about 11” long and 5” wide and 2.25” tall I have been searching forever please help

Depend where you are located but in EU for short board Unik does have spud enclosure for cheap and it is really nice. https://www.unikboards.com/en/boutique/boitier-batterie-abs/ Since you asked in inch then in USA you have @psychotiller and @Eboosted who makes nice enclosure! Have a look…