The NTM Prop Drive 50-60 Rebuild Thread

Haha, yeah that sounds like a las. Btw for anyone watching, this is really not easy. I never want to have to do this again. Quality motors from here on, and if they break and you can afford new ones, chuck them.

2nd winding:

I used some thread here to hold the end of the first winding in place, as the last turn kept on wanting to come off the tooth due to the lack of tension.

3rd wind:

4th wind:

Measured for continuity between the stator and the coil and there are no shorts! Also, the resistance of the coil is about 0.3 ohms, which the same as that of the length of wire I used, which means I have no shorted turns. Thank g.

First phase is done! Now it’s time for beer.

I’m definitely going to dip this whole stator in laminating resin, as it’s very hard to get things tight enough with this thick wire, especially where the turns are reversed in such a way that there is no tension on the previous coil.

Btw, the board in the background is my current board and is there for inspiration mostly, as it only has 1 working Prop Drive on it at the moment which isn’t particularly useful. I’m going to rewind that one too at some point, and I’ll make a video of that to summarise the process.

7 Likes

Really awesome to watch you do this build! Looks like a pain in the ass to do! LOL

1 Like

Great thread. Really interested to hear what the end result is and if you feel an appreciable difference in performance.

1 Like

Hows your rewind going? i just finished soldering on the leads for my first one. Hopefully going to be able to test it tomorrow after the epoxy dries.

2 Likes

Been put on hold for a while. Going to get going again this weekend. Will hopefully be able to finish the first one and do the video of the second.

Exciting! Let us know how it goes. What did you rewind and how?

rewound the same motor that your doing :smiley:

i did it slightly differently though (a little more hacky)

I’ll post up a build log, but unfortunately i was fairly frustrated at some points so i don’t have many pictures :/

But, i will say that it works!!!

1 Like

Nice job man! Can you tell me the bearing sizes that you used with this motor? I have 3 right now sitting on my desk in desperate need of bearings.

@makepeace Any progress updates? I’m curious about how this all worked out. :v: