The Black Beauty 4WD Hub Build

I was just thinking the same thing. If you figure $260 for set of hub motors, as in x2, shipped and then $120 for x2 motor mounts and $200 for x2 6355 motors…It gets to be a wide gap.

1 Like

For science :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do it :stuck_out_tongue: if they dont perform, you get your money back, simple as that. If they work, well hey you got some pretty nice hubs. @DeVolve and I didn’t try make these public to put more crap on the market.

1 Like

I would like to know how many poles or magnets are in these motors?

I told the guy, he’s updating the specs including torque and wattage figures today on the website.

2 Likes

When considering the forces we put these motors through, I can see why some are dubious about them not having sufficient holding strength. My view is that if these are engineered with the right tolerances (which they certainly appear to be) this is the answer I’ve been looking for. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

I’ve already messaged the guy and have put my hand up to be one of the first ones of the production line. I will certainly report back as soon as I have one in hand! Although it looks like this Black Beauty might be the first horse out of the gate.

2 Likes

I’m thinking an axle nut torqued down on the center of the stator would have enough force to keep the stator from turning during normal acceleration and normal braking.

If these have a solid core then surely a little star washer either end and a tight fit will keep them in place for even the chunkiest of riders? I’d think they’d burn out before they burr up (spin on the shaft).

1 Like

Hey, @DeVolve, interested in hearing about the progress & testing of those hubs? Did the Thane come in yet? What’s the scoop?

I could use a new motor and the price is nice, fuck it I’ll give one a shot for science.

1 Like

You find the answer in this post:

I did a rough estimation of the maximum driving torque which can be transferred due to the friction connection. It was almost an order of magnitude (!) greater than the assumed 20 Nm.

4 Likes

wow these look scary yet i am salivating at the same time. I’m eagerly waiting on the testing of these. I’ve been hunting for decent hubs for what seems like forever. Great to see community innovation keeping these things going in the right direction. Good luck guys can’t wait to see the street tests on these.

1 Like

Any new word on these hub motors? Did they get the new urethane? Did it test ok? Delivery forecast?

I ordered some of these. I just emailed them. He got right back to me and said stock would be in, in about a week. I asked him if he could post some pics of the urethane, haven’t heard back…

Do they take PayPal ? What’s there email address ?

Let us know, eh? I’m pretty curious about these—and the thane!

Q already asked

I just got a message from them. They say 1-2 week delivery. Paypal not accepted.

1 Like

Where can you buy these? I looked through the thread but I can’t seem to find a link anywhere.

@Smorto https://esk8hubs.com

1 Like