The Black Beauty 4WD Hub Build

So it´s only pressed against the axle? No pin or something to fixate it?

Yup. Doesn’t need one.

With only 1 Hub Motor mounted on an board, place a 100 kg guy on it on an hill, apply full brake and I´m pretty sure it will move! You need more then pressfit to secure it to the axle!

1 Like

Hasn’t yet :slight_smile:

What I would do: These already fit to caliber trucks without modification. So why not use something like a key to fit it next to the cable (or let the cable run through the key). So that the key will fit to the flat part of the caliber hanger. Not a huge modification and it will really be safe that way!

4 Likes

Had that same thought.

Or make the part that fits over the hub a D shape like the caliber hubs?

1 Like

Guys we should take a second to appreciate how awesome these hubs are looking. It’s slightly different to other hub motors but it’s great having innovation, this sorta stuff is what we are all built off. This guy wouldn’t put a 12 warranty on these if he wasn’t confident.

6 Likes

I break 3mm screws stopping my hub from rotating (just one but multiple times). This wont hold at least not when i would ride it. You need a key or something!

1 Like

Personally I’m interested to see how this turns out after full testing. If it works well I will most likely get one or two.

1 Like

You break 3mm screws on YOUR hubs, these are designed differently, so why class them as the same? I know we are all cautious of hubs since there has been so many issues. Friends close to me have had problems with hubs but that doesn’t mean there can’t be a great solution that hasn’t been put in the esk8 context. I think I have been more than helpful to satisfy peoples concerns, the creator behind them has provided pictures and video to try to explain how they work. If there is a guarantee that they work, why don’t you try and fault them?

2 Likes

I just read and then bring in my opinion. Sell whatever you want… I didnt buy any sk8hubmotor till today cause i couldnt see any i expected to last (except carvon v2)! Mine do neither, so far, and thats why you can’t buy or see them. Fin.

These hub motors look really promising to me and have a cool design, to fit on our standard Calibers without modification. But people on here tested nearly every hub motor available, and so far there was not a single design, that lasted without modification (I think carvon are the only one, but they are not real hubs, more directdrive). Some of them work well under normal conditions, but if you take it a bit further (hitting some hills/going 50km/h), you´ll see the problems occur.

So please don´t feel attacked if people start giving some advice.

My advice is to shape that inner piece in a D-shape to fit Calibers and I´m sure it will last longer and people would order more! (I would test a pair too!)

1 Like

Just don’t underestimate the force of Newton’s third law …

4 Likes

You and the inventor have answered questions with answers that have not satisfied people. The way things have been explained so far with the current understanding of hubs and the forces exerted they can not work long term. Perhaps it is our understanding, perhaps your explanation. Seeing a fat man going up and down hills without getting street face will satisfy me. And no, i do not wish to dish out another few hundred quid and be that fat man.

4 Likes

Point me to some decent hubs and Ill be the fat man :slight_smile:. As near as I can tell, there are NO hub motors to be had right now unless you want maytech.

2 Likes

i know at least one design that hasn’t had a mechanical failure for a single one that was put together by the seller. :innocent:

with this design, why not add an adapter for different trucks as said so at least you’ll possibly have a tight slide fit instead of a loose connection which is sure to eat the hanger aluminum with acceleration and braking really quickly. One moment you say they’re almost finished and you will have some rubber and the next you say the design is great and will last. how bout some testing between.

not that I have anything for sale either but have to get my cents in with all this hub motor talk

2 Likes

Come off em damn it :slight_smile:

For real though, I have been looking for a setup hubs (dual hub motors) for weeks, if not months. I thought I finally found a set but as of yesterday maybe not. I will just have to wait and see, but if anyone has suggestions I’m all ears.

1 Like

Well, at least the price point on these is tempting. I’m tempted to try a set myself just for curiosity’s sake.

2 Likes

They look nice. I like the side plates with grooves.