Some New FOCers (84V VESC 6 based controllers)

Is the 5kw power output the goal for the 6 FET or 12 FET version?

1 Like

Sure. Iā€™ll probably do another round of Beta Testing for this series of controllers. It just may not be as many.

Thatā€™s for the 6 TO-247 FET version. The 6 TO-220 FET version is more like 3.5kW. These numbers are approximations as I have no idea what the real life limits are for TO-247s. Gunna find out though :slight_smile:

1 Like

6/12FET models need naming delineation otherwise you will be crossing wires from here to eternity, jest but true

• 6FET: Serious FOCer
  • 12FET: Mother FOCer

Our erstwhile naming combobulator @brenternet will be along shortly to rubber stamp @briman05ā€™s witty denomer or trash it into oblivion.

If youā€™re familiar with DaveGA, youā€™ll understand, itā€™s a thing

2 Likes

Pneumatic direct drive, since we lose the gearing you will need a powerfull motor to run efficient.

1 Like

Sure.

• 6 TO-220: Little FOCer
  • 6 TO-247: Serious FOCer
  • 12 FET: Mother FOCer
  • 18 FET: Serious Mother FOCer

ā€¦or something

4 Likes

It works any way you do it, ingenious :grinning:

2 Likes

Catchy isnā€™t it? And they say design engineers canā€™t market :grin:

2 Likes

18 fet should be holy mother FOCer or grandmotha FOCer

2 Likes

Gotta save something for the 18 TO-247 FET FOCer. Thatā€™s my prospect controller for my e-motorcycle conversion. Thatā€™s a league of itā€™s own though and will be designed differently

3 Likes

Holy Mother FOCer :joy:

Hey man just donated to the R&D effort. Have a :beer:, :hamburger:, :burrito: or :coffee: on me. Whatever floats your boat?

Is there any plans to do a run of these where the surface mount components are already on then the through holes can be added by ourselves? That should make them buildable by most DIYers.

5 Likes

gunna very much enjoy my :beer: Much appreciated!

Yes I am definitely considering offering boards that have the SMD components, or at least the hard ones, pre-soldered leaving the rest to the DIYer. This sort of thing was discussed back on my Cheap FOCer thread.

So hereā€™s my master plan:

1. Start LLC and webstore

2. Design and sell cool open source stuff

3. ???

4. Profitā€¦or something

10 Likes

:beers: Cheers!

3 Likes

Sound great :blush: definitely down for beta testing that :relieved:

2 Likes

8 Likes

8 Likes

Rant mode On/ I wish some people around here saw your work to improve their ownā€¦ Now thatā€™s proper heatsinking FETs instead of putting useless metal on the plastic part. And yet people still buy their shit hahaha thatā€™s sickening. /Rant mode Off.

On topic, Iā€™m looking forward to your controllers prowess man !! How big will the footprint be btw ? Looks perfect for drift trike / e-bikes / superfast boards / e-karting?

6 Likes

The board for the 12 FET is about 53mm x 101mm (2.1" x 4"). Relatively small compared to other 12 FET controllers out there.

1 Like

Really liking the Samuel L. Jackson reference here. While Bad Mother FOCer was suggested as a name for when a fault happened, Iā€™m leaning toward that being the name of the 18 TO-247 FET controller for my e-motorcycle. I might even put a silk screen outline of Samuel on the board.

6 Likes

I propose sam Lā€™s face printed in the silkscreen. Maybe in diffrent degrees of smiling between how much FOCer are in them.

Edit: actually read your comment now, lol, great minds think alike.

2 Likes