Some New FOCers (84V VESC 6 based controllers)

TO247 Serious FOCer. TO-247 version

6%20FET%20angled Little FOCer. vertical TO-220 version.

TO220%20horizontal Flat Little FOCer. horizontal TO-220 version for reduced overall height. Image for reference only. Layout does not yet accommodate horizontal TO-220 package.

12%20FET%20angled Mother FOCer. 12 TO-220 FET version.

Announcing a new line of FOCing controllers

Features:

• 15V to 84V operation

• Expected power of approx 5kW with TO-247 FETs and good heat sinking

• Has primary features of VESC controllers (FOC, configurable current/temperature limits, throttle response, dual motor operation, ect.)

• Different versions for different FET packages

• TO-247 FET and 12 TO-220 FET versions for higher current capability

• Single-sided dual-layer PCB

• Small 45mm x 101.5mm board size

• Each switch node has it’s own bulk cap, pwr, gnd and phase cable holes. Reduces need for beefing up long traces for increased current handling capability

• Utilizes DRV8353RS to achieve higher operating voltage, superior fault detection, and small footprint. Also allows for tailored slew rate control to minimize ringing/spiking in the power stage

• Easy On/Off capability with switch of choice

• Wireless Bluetooth transceiver module can be easily added for wireless interface with VESC Android App. Allows for easy configurations of different speed/power profiles that can be selected at will.

• Design will be open sourced after verification

• Designed in KiCAD for flexibility and compatibility with the open source community

Donations: Open Source R&D isn’t free! Any help is appreciated!

This is a higher performing controller in comparison to my Cheap FOCer controller that is about to go into beta testing. All lessons learned from the Cheap FOCer development has and will go into this new controller design. It will be a while before this is made a reality. new firmware will have be developed for the new DRV8353RS. Your patience will be appreciated on this one as I have other projects running parallel. In the mean time while we all wait for me to develop this, I am open to any suggestions that will help make this controller great for this community!

All this wouldn’t be possible without Benjamin Vedder’s hard work to build on. Please consider supporting him for his efforts through the link below.

https://vesc-project.com/donations

38 Likes

kind a missed that the last days… I directly have some questions :sweat_smile: As it´s gonna be vesc6 based esc, I can assume that it´s possible to run AS5047 encoder with that esc as well? the voltage for the sensors is switchable between 3.3 and 5V or it will be set to one of thos values?

1 Like

I haven’t implemented a switch for the hall sensor voltage. The AS5047 needs 5V right? Most hall effect sensors in the e-bike world take 5V as well. What I can do is just make the hall sensor outputs permanently tied to 5V to accommodate this unless someone knows of hall sensors that need 3.3V.

The AS5047 works with both depending on how you solder up the sensor pcb. The noice seems to be less with 3.3V but if you use shielded cables 5V works as well. I read somewhere that the AS5047 Encoder wouldn’t work with hw4.xx is that correct and does it mean that the encoder also not working with the cheap focer? Not an issue for me if not, just wanted to clearify for my personal understanding.

2 Likes

I propose a name change and call it the mother FOCer

13 Likes

I’m not sure if the Cheap FOCer will work or not with that encoder. It will just have to be tested to find out for sure (task for Beta Testers). Personally I don’t see why it wouldn’t.

Odd how 3.3V is less noisy than 5V. Generally higher reference voltages or Vcc voltages are less susceptible to noise.

2 Likes

I’ve reserved the name “Mother FOCer” for a 12 FET or higher version. I decided this back on my Cheap FOCer thread. I like where your head’s at though :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Totally understand maybe the “Little FOCer”. The work so far looks really good I’m going to be watching this thread to see how it comes out when you have a working prototype.

3 Likes

Cool. There’s a lot of interest in this model. I don’t think anyone has open sourced anything like it. Stay tuned for the progress!

3 Likes

I can have a look at this by my own than :wink:

1 Like

12%20FET%20with%20Sink%20angled 12 FET Version w/ Heatsink

12%20FET%20with%20Sink%20side 12 FET Version w/ Heatsink side view

12%20FET%20angled 12 FET Version

6%20FET%20angled 6 FET version proper

Did some more work on the variants of the Serious FOCer. Got the 12 FET and 6 FET design drafted. the 12 FET probably leaves the esk8 realm in power but I figure you guys would like to know about it anyways.

11 Likes

I’m not a super big smarty nerd, so what are the real world differences between the 6 FET and 12 FET version?

1 Like

I have a 13s build comming up, this would be great but the caps and fets are too tall :tired_face:

2 Likes

Doubling the FETs double the the amount of current than can be handled and therefore increases power. Increasing the amount of paralleled FETs to achieve greater power is common practice for ebike controller designs. There are 18 and even 24 FET controllers out there.

1 Like

Did you see the horizontal 6 FET variant? It’s in my first post but it’s just for reference. Also the black cylinders on the board are actually through hole inductors that can be replaced by SMD inductors for lowered height. The large bulk caps are actually laying down for this board, they just don’t have a 3D model and are identified by the 3 white rectangles.

The horizontal 6 FET version hasn’t officially been layed out but it wouldn’t take long. Your not the only one who wants reduced height for this controller :slight_smile:

1 Like

How big is the price delta between direct FETs and dpak ones?

1 Like

I don’t know off the top of my head but dpaks are slightly more expensive if I remember right. The dpak or d2pak packages can handle a little more current. They just aren’t great for easily attaching a heatsink to them.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the directFETs be prefered then? Isnt the entire fuss about them that they’re preferable for heat dissipation?

1 Like

Well let’s compare directFETs to TO-220s(the ones I’m using) instead of dpaks. directFETs appear to be slightly more expensive than TO-220s according to infineon’s website. TO-220 are through hole, have tab with a mounting hole for a heatsink, and can be easily replaced if damaged. Tons of manufacturers make TO-220 FETs and therefore one can find good ones for low cost.

directFETs are very small for the power they can handle, are surface mount, and can be cooled from either side. Still you can’t just bolt on a heatsink to them or easily replace them if they blow up. They are also only available from Infineon to my knowledge.

I went for practicality and ease of replacement for my design and you can bolt on a monster heatsink to TO-220s fairly easily and for cheap.

8 Likes

They’re not THAT hard to replace :stuck_out_tongue: only time I had to solder them was on initial mounting tho. They just float into place thanks to the surface tension of the hot solder. A thin film of insulation between the sink and FET and ur done :stuck_out_tongue: They have never blown after beeing properly soldered, on 4 separate escs. So I have nothing but love for them, so I might be abit biased I guess.

Regarding through hole, wont that add unwanted trace length on the power stage? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like