Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

Anyone knows if the telemetry works with the new VESCtool just recently released?

I am planning to start building one of these remotes and have a couple of questions. I am in the US and have not found an Arduino nano with 3.3V regulator. Any US source for this? If not, I see that a few people have used the Pro Mini and I was wondering if this works with the current code and wiring, or if there are any modifications that need to be done. Also, is the development branch of the code still the one to use? Thanks for your help.

@ervinelin Have not tried it out, didnt know about the new update. Any changes?

@TSJ Well the Nano I recommend is just nice because it fixes many power related issues. If you makes sure that the nrf24 module is well supplied and you filter the supply voltage from VESC then any Arduino should work :blush:

Seems like lots of changes actuallyā€¦ Thatā€™s why I was considering upgradingā€¦

I should have completed my build before February. But I been busy and putting this off, but Iā€™m determined to stop procrastinating. -_-

Anyway I discovered my capacitors were wired to gnd and 5v pins, opposed to gnd and rst pins. So I got that fixed but still no dice. I will mess around with the capacitance. See if that will solve it. Meanwhile Iā€™m gonna mess around with settings and stuff too. Iā€™ve noticed that since the last update or so, the settings changed a bit. Itā€™s a bit more streamlined, but the options are now numbers rather than stating what the options are. I canā€™t seem to find a guide or a list anywhere that states what each number means. Like what are option 1, 2, and 3 mean for the trigger setting. I can only assume option 0 for battery is Li-Ion and 1 is lipo? Maybe itā€™s somewhere obvious, but I canā€™t find it.

I also did serial monitor for the remote and it just kept stating failed transmission. I did it with and without the receiver being on/connected. It did seem to be giving accurate readings of the throttle though. Gave me numbers ~100-700 or so. Iā€™m going to guess that itā€™s still a problem with the remote rather than the receiver due to these results?

Hi Iā€™m curious if you have plans to upgrade the firmware to work with nrf 51, it seem like Benjamin did a nice work on the last firmware update, short history, now is no needed receiver anymore, we can use a external nrf51 to connect the remote and the phone app, all trough UART. I know you tried before but it was not a lot of documention.

im interested in building my own remote since im a programmer. funny enough i have my own 3D printer so i would love to venture on and tackle a project like this myself. if you dont mind me asking where you started. i was thinking about using arduino to build the transmitter and reciever but my biggest question is what libraries did you use and where did you find the appropriate info to cover for the variety of available vescs. wouldnā€™t each vesc supply its own data?

@Surfer Well that is quite interesting, however I do not have any nrf51 laying around and I do not have the income to try it out. The interesting part is that you can replace the Arduino Nano and nrf24 with an nrf51 as it includes a microprocessor (actually programmable from Arduino IDE)ā€¦ I smell much more features and faster / bigger displays :wink:

@krazor Well I began with an Arduino and a PPM signal to a speed controller. I have since developed it a little further, with a library made to communicate with a VESC over UART. As long as the VESC is updated, each VESC has the same communication protocol. If you are interested you can check out my github for the source code :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks, i would love to make one for myself =)

i was looking over your github but the tutorial section doenst seem to be finished. is there an update coming along. i dont want to go ordering parts and start the printing process if the documentation is unfinished.

I shall answer my own questionā€¦ Yes it works with the new vesctool.

1 Like

This should help you: https://solidgeek.dk/docs/firefly-remote/getting-started/

1 Like

@solidgeek I would like to add an option to activate/deactivate a led strip with your remote. I was thinking of having another option in the settings menu to set a GPIO pin on the receiver arduino board either to HIGH or LOW. I would use a moset and +42V from the battery pack to power on the led strip. Can you tell me which adjustments to make at the transmitter.ino/receiver.ino file (development branch)? That would be awesome.

If you arenā€™t familiar with mosfet I would use a small relay instead, as HIGH voltage switching MOSFETs can be difficult and dangerous for your electronics if you do something wrong. Regarding the software, it can be done in multiple ways, and I cannot tell you all the things you need to do - you will have to figure that out yourself :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for the link, for some reason i couldnt find this on the github page.

is there a custom PCB designed for this project yet?

Hi there, did u manage to sort out the no real data on the remote, i am also not able to get any data like speed, range and battery!!!

Hi, thanks for your awesome remote, but i have an issue with real data as its not shown on the remote, i am using flipsky dual 6.6 controller and have followed all your instruction but no real date. Another thing it will be really great if u can some how add speed control in the remote code, like slow, med and fastā€¦ is that possible ?

edit: i am using the latest dev code

SOLVED: You have to hold the dead man switch downā€¦ lol

Hey everyone!

So as im putting the remote together and testing the hall sensor, I noticed that the battery bar is moving instead of the throttle bar. Does anyone know how to fix it?

I would assume that you wired something wrong :slight_smile: Like A2 and A3 switched or something