Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

Much easier and works great.

http://javl.github.io/image2cpp/

2 Likes

You can also use gimp to create the logo. Important 1bit (black and white), the right size for example 128x32 pixel and lust but not least save as xbm format.

here it si described really nice :slight_smile: one question, I have tried to build it up with a teensy 3.1 - the nrf24L01 is not workingā€¦has anyone else tried this?

2 Likes

I have found the solution for the teensy issue. The #pragma pack has to be applied to the code to work together with a teensyā€¦ next step is to apply a 128x128 pixel display - for my eyes :wink:

1 Like

Anyone can help me please ? Iā€™m trying to load receiver sketch to Arduino and this what comes out: ,VescUart" does not name a type.

should I change anything in the code? Bez%C2%A0tytu%C5%82u

U have to install the VESC libā€¦ just search here in the thread

had this same problem. try this found here: https://github.com/SolidGeek/VescUart

fixed it than you!

So I been working on this for a while now and finishing this remote is what is bottle-necking me from completing my build. I canā€™t figure out the problem. I even made a prototype remote on a breadboard with extra parts I got. Still couldnā€™t get it running. Iā€™ve checked the connection and wiring multiple times. While the soldering and such is not amazing, it is satisfactory enough for a first build. Iā€™ve used my multimeter to see if the connections were working and they were. While I canā€™t say with 100% certainty that none of the pieces are defective, I believe they all work. Which leads me to believe it is something with the coding or how I approached the Arduino factor. I do have experience with Arduino, Iā€™m technically only a novice since Iā€™ve only messed around with it for several school projects. Software isnā€™t my strong suit and even doing some of the leg work for this project was a bit confusing, even though it shouldnā€™t have been for me.

My actual remote will turn on and go to the Firefly logo screen but then nothing more. I can go to the settings and tinker with the settings. I can even go to the settings from startup, then exit the setting using the last option and go to the normal UI. I canā€™t do anything there though and I get no readings. I canā€™t connect to the receiver either. On my prototype, I canā€™t even get the nano or the screen to light up. Only the 5v converter lights up. So the problem on the prototype may just be a completely different problem. Any ideas on what my issue may be?

Hereā€™s a couple of my prototype. I can post pictures of the actual remote, but not sure how much that would help. PrototypeRemote PrototypeRemote2

Sorry to hear that you cannoy get it working. Which version of the software are you using? If you are using the newest version of the development branch the software should work just fine. To me it sounds like some error with the nRF24 module, as you describe that the remotes crashes when the nRF24 tries to transmit. Please double check that the nRF24 is connected correctly. Have you tried enabling debugging by uncommenting the #DEFINE debug?

Itā€™s okay, I still love the remote and refuse to try another one right now because I simply just want this design. So part of that is on me. I should be using the latest version. I simply downloaded the most recent one and went from there.

You stating that you think itā€™s the nRF24 module at least gives me something to work with, so I will try to go from there. Iā€™ve already isolated the module with aluminum foil, but that only solves the problem if the problem is not transmitting well. I doubt it is even doing that. Iā€™ll double check all the connections once again. I am also going to try the debugging. I honestly did not know what that was until now, even though I saw things here and there while going through this topic.

Let me know the output og the Serial monitor after enabling debugging. Also make sure you isolate the nRF24 module and the aluminium foil with some plastic or paper inbetween such that you dont short anything (aluminium is conducting) Just making sure, this is the version you are using?:

1 Like

Yep, thatā€™s the one I used. Now I did everything manually and didnā€™t just download the zip file from that page. Should I have? This was before I realized I could because I havenā€™t really messed much with GitHub.

I do have the module wrapped with kapton tape then wrapped with aluminium, but not covering the ceramic antenna. But I may have found the problem. It seems I have switched the wire up for CS->D10 and CE->D9. What I donā€™t understand is how I didnā€™t catch that before because I traced every wire and should have already checked this. -_- Lol, well now I can start working on it. Going to take a minute since after I soldered everything and apparently ā€œdouble checked,ā€ I covered the connections with silicone. This may be the issue because I couldnā€™t even get a reading with the serial monitor using the debug.

I got it working. It loads and goes to the normal screen and I see stuff happening. I couldnā€™t get the serial monitor to show any outputs, on the 115xxx baud rate. I donā€™t remember the number but I know that is the one you said you used. Now I still couldnā€™t get the remote to make the wheels move or actually connect to the receiver. But Iā€™ll be working on that now. Thanks for the help thus far @solidgeek, itā€™s been helpful to get me going again.

@swimmydude Glad to hear you got it working. To read anything on the serial monitor from the remote you have to use 9600 baud, as this is used for debugging - a baud of 115200 is used for the receiver debug and VESC UART communication :slight_smile: (actually this should maybe be the same in the future)ā€¦ Now regarding the connection between remote and receiver, if the nrf24 module is connected corretly and code is uploaded it should work right out of the box. The most common problem regarding receiver is bad power supply, and can often be fixed by adding a big electrolytic capacitor (220uF-470uF) on the 5V input rail.

A friend of my has a little issue. When he clears the EPROM the firefly connects with the receiver. But only the first time. If the turns them off and on again they wonā€™t bind. Only after clearing EPROM again. This is impossible to work with ofcours :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

How does he clear the EPROM? :slight_smile:

(Oldbotlouder)

Does anyone know whatā€™s the correct way to create a new pipe address?

I had a remote which would connect to the receiver and the throttle works but no telemetry.

After troubleshooting it. It turns out there was something wrong with the pipe. Adjusted it and suddenly both throttle and telemetry work. Nothing else was changed.

Any ideas?

Using the default sketch in arduino studio.

That does not clear the EEPROM it only reflashes the firmware. You can try uploading this sketch: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/EEPROMClear