Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

No, I used whatever i could find on ebay, looking at it now it doesn’t have the extra voltage regulator, god dammit. Oh well, i’ll keep slapping caps on to see if that fixes it

Hy Guys! Has anybody the Firefly remote and a Smartphone app in use? SO my question is is it possible to get the Vesc data on the Remote and similar to the Smartphone (bluetooth module) ? Can the Signal pins / on the VESC/Focbox be connected to the Bluetooth module for the App and the receiver for the Firefly all in one? For example on a single Focbox setup? KR

No. It’s not possible yet. Maybe in the future. It’s only possible in dual VESC setup

ok thx for the reply so in a dual setup one vesc will have the bluetooth module connected for the app an the other one will (probably the master) will get the remote commands and sends the info to the firefly think ill try this when ive finished my firefly Let you know if it worked out for me KR

It’s not a secret. It works :wink:

nice thx for the info

ok so. Here the trasmitter (it sends the right address)

here the receiver

image :weary: why these simbols at the receiver side?

Thanks for the help.

U can choose the baudrate on the bottom left. Compare it to the baudrate in the code. Should be 115200

1 Like

If I check the code in the receiver is 115200 image

While in the transmitter is 9600 image

Do you know why are they different? should I change the transmitter to 115200?

Now I understood what you meant. I am going now to try to change the baudrate during serial monitor at the receiver side.

Indeed it is sending wrong address! image

Why since I changed it in the code?

Ok perfect. Apparently the receiver doesn’t accept a new address. Do you know why? I changed the address on the transmitter side to match the receiver and now they pair. That’s so weird. Do you know if it is normal that the transmitter is 9600 baud rate and the receiver is 115200? Thank you for the help. I learnt a new things, never rely just on code, always check…why it doesn’t change the address remain a mystery to me.

The different Serial baudrates are ok. Doesn’t matter…

No i am not to much into the normal code, because my code is handling the address in a totally different way.

I guess I have to reset the address from the remote in the menu or something to force a new pairing… not shure. For now I ll not go in with the development on the Arduino Nano. I switched to the feather and short before finishing this code.

1 Like

ok no problem. Indeed in the remote you have to force to switch to the new default code but it won’t change on the receiver. Weird because the code there was the one I used in the past with the previous development version. So I was able to change it before and now with the new version if I upload whatever address doens’t change anything. Weird, Thanks for the help!

1 Like

I had the same thing happen to me. I think it was storing the incorrect/old address in PRAM and the Nano and I couldn’t fix it until I was able to flush the PRAM (or go back to using the default address). I’m not sure how I got the PRAM deleted but I eventually did and then it accepted my custom address

1 Like

yes exactly, @StefanMe helped me to figure it out. Indeed the receiver doesn’t accept the new address but keeps the old one. Well It was already modified by me the first time so at least is not the real default one. Would be nice to correct this issue in the code.

resetAddressPin = 4;

U can reset the address on the receiver by connecting pin 4 to ground for a second. :wink: then everything should pair as before…

2 Likes

When first you have uploaded the code to your controller and receiver. Your receiver RX default address is assigned (void). Thats why your address on receiver shows 0xe7e7e7… I did fork an addictional code to the Receiver to have that assigns the value by default if is not validated.

That’s a cool trick! Thanks. BTW I want to report back that now the remote works again and I am using Flibsky 6.6. And Ackmaniac firmware. The only problem is that Flipsky voltage sensor is crap and does read 1-1.5V less theb real. On my 12s at 49.4V it reads 47.9V.

Is the difference between real voltage and Vesc voltage always at the same value or does it increase by higher voltage? I can build on an factor for the voltage…

Well it is a known behavior from Flipsky 6.6. I think is constant but I still have to go at lower voltage. For the moment ai decrease the cut out of 1V

As @StefanMe said, the baudrate doesn’t actually matter for connecting your transmitter to receiver. You’re pointing to two different things. #ifdef is a preprocessor conditional macro. How setup() in receiver.ino reads is actually:

if you have the DEBUG macro on,
    set uart debug port append serial
    begin serial at baud rate 115200
    start printing in run loop
otherwise
    if firefly pcb macro on,
        set uart serial port append serial
        begin serial at baud rate 115200

This only has to do with serial output to uart, not communication with the transmitter.

Just an explainer if you’re still wondering :smiley:

1 Like