Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

I see, thank you for the clarification!

1 Like

Hi! So you know our every tried to connect the UART jst from the receiver to the UART port of the slave VESC while the PPM signal is one the master? I mean the remote works with out the UART port (of course with out real time data). In this way the UART data comes from the slave vesc which should be the same anyway.

Hi guys, for my school project I am going to make this remote. Unfortunately, I cannot find any parts that won’t take 30-40 days to ship. I have a limited time and I don’t have enough time to find another project. Do you guys have any other places where I could by these without needing to pay upwards of 50 dollars for shipping in 13 - 15 days or pay none and have 30-40 day shipping? Thanks!!

It should work perfect. At least it should work in PPM split mode. I don’t run a dual motor system at the moment, so i can’t test it… maybe in the future. Running the remote without real-time data is no option :joy: I mean… it would not give me that unique feeling

I can buy everything working a few days from eBay in Europe… it would be strange if u could do this in USA or where ever u live.

1 Like

The remote works PPM only. Of course without the real time data doesn’t make sense. That’s why I was wondering to get this data from the slave Vesc instead so that I remove a bit of load from the master VESC. Otherwise now he has to sent data both to UART for the remote and to can for the Bluetooth on the slave. Thanks I might give it a try.

1 Like

I ll add an option to double the amps ect… I think we need it for a double setup without CAN

1 Like

What about a group buy for all the components listed?

I would be in but only with the upgrades from @zyb :smiley: Maybe @Zyb even has the parts and could send them to you…

Almost finished a version of this great remote, it’s based on Adafruit Feather M0 RFM69HCW: IMG_20181019_235919 Capture

I’ll share the code and .stl files soon. The parts are more expensive but the delivery should be quicker: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13rUPX8BsSac1AdnFAXx4dwR3XoQiU4FAKbunFaeW-oY

11 Likes

Really nice! I was wondering what are the improvement in using Adafruit instead of an Arduino? Just out of curiosity

1 Like

Are u kidding me :joy: I work also ok the feather and I am short before of releasing :joy:

It’s just less wires to solder, as it has built-in battery charger and radio. On the receiver side Arduino + RFM69HCW Transceiver could be used to save $20, but did not tested it yet.

1 Like

image lol exactly the same on my plan. What is your cycle time in best and worst case including transmissions?

1 Like

Yeah, saw your post only yesterday. Did not measure it yet, but managed to improve the response using this code:

// update every half second
if (millis() - lastScreenUpdate > 500) {
   u8g2.clearBuffer();

drawPage();
   drawBatteryLevel();
   drawSignal();    

lastScreenUpdate = millis();
}

u8g2.sendBuffer();

That’s much to slow… my cycle time is 63ms including update display and send and revive all data. Worst case <100ms on bad transmissions…

Transmission time is 10ms - update display is around 55ms. If u drawing the display only every 500ms not smooth, doesn’t it?

I originally used Feather 32u4, it struggled to draw all the data :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like your stl. I wanna try them out!

Please try to measure your cycle time, transmission time and worst case cycle time to have a benchmark. With full GUI on OLED Of course.

wouldn’t it be a great idea to fork the software to an Esp32/Lora/oled board?

They a ridiculously cheap (15$ on AliExpress) and combine everything on one board: Lipo charger, OLED-Display, MCU with WiFi/Bluetooth, low power wireless transmission without any range/bandwidth problems. you can transmit well over 2 km if you don’t restrict the transmission power. and they are way smaller which means more battery or smaller controller :slight_smile:

You just have to use a 3V analog hall effect sensor. If there is any interest I could search and test a couple of them. allegro has a lot of hall-sensors in the already used to-92 flat package.

do some of you already have experience with the Lora chips?

I can offer to make new parts lists as well as new fitting enclosures for the Esp32/Lora board. I just have to little experience in C++ to fork the software.

these are the ones I would buy because they even have an onboard switch, but there are a lot of nearly identical boards for 15$

a4615332c25dd5b92857eaaa9ec65d229c0449d0

2pcs Lora Esp32 boards with OLED Aliexpress

5 Likes

This is a good find, I didn’t know about this board. Will order and test the transmission speed. I used DRV5053OAQLPG 3.3v sensor, which was recommended in this thread, and it works fine.

1 Like