Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

@solidgeek Do you think this switch would be a good fit? http://swechtrading.se/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=188_34&products_id=531

I think it should fit just about right :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the design. I am currently designing a pcb for this remote. But realized it would be much easier to size the pcb(since currently it is a tight fit) if i had design files. Can you share actual modifiable non-mesh file? I hope it is compatible with Fusion360

I got extra parts I could sell to you guys, if you need them. I live in the US, so its quick delivery to those of you guys that live in US, so if you want to start working on this, you can. All you gotta do is 3d print them.

I got:

3 * Arduino Nanos w/o Pins 10 * TP4056 Charging Modules (don’t know if you can use that tho but lmk) 10 * NRF24L01 5 * 5 meters of 30 AWG Wires (each of color of red, blue, yellow, white, and black) 20 * 5x5mm magnets 1 * SS495A Hall Sensor 2 * OLED Screen (They fit the ones on the remote control) 1 * 3.7V 500 mAh battery (fits in remote control)

If you are interested, please let me know. Trying to get rid of these things

@Snowi I just finished reading this entire thread from the very beginning, and I would indeed buy all of these parts off of you! A question before, though is, are these all the parts necessary that are on the excel spreadsheet? Oh and by the way I am in USA, Minnesota.

1 Like

Is it possible to use a Smartphone with APP through BT Connection to track Telemetry data with this remote simultaneously somehow?

NRF24 and BT would use both UART . Can I conect only the TX from the VESC to the BT module in parallel?

Unfortunately no, the UART port cannot be shared as far as I know. However, if you run a dual setup I guess you could add the BT module to one VESC and the receiver to the other, and then connect them by CAN-bus.

1 Like

Yeah, every part is used on the spreadsheet. All you need is to 3d print the controller and screws.

i was able to make a connection, both receiver and transmitter works but theres one problem. whenever i powerup my vesc receiver does not respond i need to press reset button once and after that theres no problem. this happens everytime and its unusable this way. i tried to power it from another 5v source but same thing, i needed to press reset again. anyone encountered this problem? oh also this problem doesnt occur when i power it from its usb socket.

@solidgeek im trying to upload your latest receiver build. had no issue with transmitter uploading but receiver gives this error code: receiver:124: error: ‘SetSerialPort’ was not declared in this scope

SetSerialPort(&Serial);

am i missing something? Thanks

OK i found where i did the mistake. For the latest version you need vesc6 rollinggecko library while master version goes along with master version of rollinggecko. compiled and uploaded successfully but they dont have communication while master version connects almost instantly when transmitter and reciever has power. just to be sure i rolled back to master version and everything works fine. any ideas?

you must declare the serial of setserialport first

#define SERIALIO Serial // add this to the header

void setup(){ // Open serial VESC data //Setup UART port SetSerialPort(&SERIALIO); SERIALIO.begin(115200);

2 Likes

that problem vanished as soon as i used the vesc 6 rollinggecko library or is it related to the connection issue that i have ?

on a side note: Rx led on receiver used to blink constantly but it does not blink at all when latest build is installed

I have a question regarding which SS495A hall sensor to use? Will they both work the same?

Link 1: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Honeywell/SS495A/?qs=%2Ffq2y7sSKcKEzWT94S3drA==

or

Link 2: https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/texas-instruments/DRV5053OAQLPGM/296-40059-1-ND/5177936

1 Like

The first one, but shipping will cost like $10 for that small item. I got an extra one, I’ll sell you one for like $4 bucks.

There are different hall sensors but make sure its SS495A

How’s the travel on the wheel? Really looking for something with far travel to get more control

Yeah, I tried flashing the dev branch last night and I couldn’t get it to work at all. Hope it all gets sorted soon :frowning: this whole receiver not connecting on first power on properly is getting quite annoying. I’m tempted to just wire a switch under my deck to reset the Arduino manually without needing to take the whole enclosure off

I got extra parts I could sell to you guys, if you need them. I live in the US, so its quick delivery to those of you guys that live in US, so if you want to start working on this, you can. All you gotta do is 3d print them.

I got:

• 3 * Arduino Nanos w/o Pins

• 10 * TP4056 Charging Modules (don’t know if you can use that tho but lmk)

• 10 * NRF24L01

• ̶5̶ ̶*̶ ̶5̶ ̶m̶e̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶3̶0̶ ̶A̶W̶G̶ ̶W̶i̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶(̶e̶a̶c̶h̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶r̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶,̶ ̶y̶e̶l̶l̶o̶w̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶t̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶b̶l̶a̶c̶k̶)̶ (SOLD)

• 20 * 5x5mm magnets

• 1 * SS495A Hall Sensor

• 2 * OLED Screen (They fit the ones on the remote control)

• 1 * 3.7V 500 mAh battery (fits in remote control)

If you are interested, please let me know. Trying to get rid of these things

EDIT: sold the wires but still got a lot of parts left for you guys!!!

Try the master branch. see if you can get your tx and rx connected.

NO ? check your wiring connection on your RF24. YES ? You can continue flash the dev branch. You need to clear out the EEPROM on both tx and rx

I can use the master branch fine, but I’ve never been able to get telemetry with TX and RX working. I’m thinking that’s just due to the ackmaniacs firmware the Pulse uses at this point tho

Hi @Snowi, just started to read this, this guide looks like gold ! Sounds like you have everything to build another remote?

How far are along are you? Did it work lol? I’d love to buy some of your spares. Please let me know.

i have a problem allways reply failed transmission in debug mode and normal mode not connect never connect and the example getting started works fine

what happends?